News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Mushy Brakes

Started by 60eldo, October 13, 2016, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

Check to see if the internal orifice of the booster hose is not collapsed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

60eldo

WHAT?????  Talk to me like Im in grade 4
Jon. Kluczynski

wbdeford

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 29, 2016, 09:56:26 PM
Check to see if the internal orifice of the booster hose is not collapsed.

Bruce. >:D

The booster, if it is like other boosters of that era, has a large hose through which air passes when you apply the brakes.  This is what gives you the boost.  If that hose is collapsing internally, the air can't get through and you essentially only have manual brakes--actually worse than manual, since some of your effort is used to compress the booster without help from the air.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Walter Youshock

If you're expecting bleeding and adjusting is going to give you the same braking effect you're used to on your modern car or even one from 1962, forget it. 

This is a 4 wheel drum brake car with a single master cylinder and old school brake assist(hydro vac).  The Hydro vac was in service for years before 1957.

Also, these cars were designed around asbestos pads which reacted far differently than today's ceramic amalgamations.

On a 60 year old, 6000 pound car, be happy it even has power assist...

And you have s used booster.  There's no knowledge of its usage or current effectiveness.  These are "wet" boosters in that brake fluid that. By nature, absorbs water, could be rusty inside.  All that and you have a commercial chassis...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

60eldo

Well today all installed and bled. I have brakes now a good pedal but I have to push it hard to stop. I would never atempt to drive this car on a highway. I think the booster is not working cause I did a test on it. Sat in the car pumped pedal 2 times and hold, then started the car. Pedal should of dropped a tad,,,,it didnt. I guess I will spend another 500 bucks and get the booster done,,,,,mmmm
Jon. Kluczynski

Walter Youshock

You should definitely have it done but don't expect miracles from it.  I've owned one of these for 23 years.  The brakes are horrible.  Get used to it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

60eldo

Good thing its a hearse,,,I will drive real slow >:D   Whats the alternitive to this brake system. Is there a M/C and booster from another car I can go with
Jon. Kluczynski

wbdeford

Being a 58 owner, I have noticed a number of brake parts for my car are listed as fitting 56 and 58 but not 57....that always signaled to me that they knew they made things worse on 57s and had to go back.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Ed Eckhart #12747

Ed Strain at brakeboosterrebuild.com is often cited on this forum as a quality rebuilder of these boosters. Yours probably needs rebuilding.
There is a long thread on this forum regarding the possibility of retrofitting a modern dual master cylinder/booster setup on the 57, but my memory is that it would not be realistically feasible.

Ed E

Walter Youshock

How do you have the vacuum connected?  There were 2 different ways.  One had the vacuum hose attached to a pipe at the back of the carb.  The other was directly off the intake manifold. 

Both styles use a check valve attached to the firewall.  There is no vvacuum ta k on the '57 so you can't pump the pedal and get it to pump up like a modern car.  It'll only hold enough vacuum for 2 or 3 pedal applications.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

60eldo

Walter, I have no check valve on the firewall, my vac pipe comes out of the rear of intake directly to the booster
Jon. Kluczynski

Walter Youshock

Without a valve, you'll never build up vacuum by pumping the brakes,with the car not running.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

wbdeford

Quote from: Walter Youshock on October 31, 2016, 04:38:41 PM
How do you have the vacuum connected?  There were 2 different ways.  One had the vacuum hose attached to a pipe at the back of the carb.  The other was directly off the intake manifold. 

Both styles use a check valve attached to the firewall.  There is no vvacuum ta k on the '57 so you can't pump the pedal and get it to pump up like a modern car.  It'll only hold enough vacuum for 2 or 3 pedal applications.

2 or 3 applications with the engine off is all the manual promises for '58s, which do have a vacuum tank.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

60eldo

Mine is a 57 not a 58 which is a different system. I think my check valve is inside the booster. If Im wrong does anyone have a pic of it on the firewall or is there one in the manual.
Jon. Kluczynski

Walter Youshock

I don't have a photo handy right now but can get you one.  It's an L shooed poppet valve that attaches to the top right of the booster mounting bracket with a round clip.  The vacuum hose from the intake goes on one port and the hose to the booster on the second port so it's in line.  With your engine off, there's no vacuum that can be built up since at least some of the valves are in an open position.

The check valve also pprotects the booster in case there is a backfire from the carb.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dave Shepherd

Walt, the 57 is different, there is no check valve external on the hydro vac, later models had the canister type booster with that plastic check valve.

Walter Youshock

Really?  Then why does my car have one?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Roger Zimmermann

Have a look at the picture: that check valve is really there. OK, it's a '57 Brougham, but the brake system is the same as for regular cars.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dave Shepherd

Odd, the 57 Seville I am working on does not have that set up,  just a direct connection to the manifold?

Roger Zimmermann

The difference is probably due to the fact that the car above has a 2-carbs set up. From the parts book: (cars with 1 carb)

'57 before engine # 75598: part # 3715067 between intake pipe hose and booster hose

'57 after engine # 75597: part # 1469686 between carburator and booster

No matter where the check valve is located, there must be one!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101