News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'68 eldo coupe windows problem

Started by Viator Trudeau, October 15, 2016, 08:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Hello all,  driver door ,no window works when open,  broken wire in the bundle at the door- pillar?  Quarter windows work vocationally??  Where can I find wires for Quarter windows.  Are there relays some where.  Is it the feed wire broken?  I could use some help on this issue from some one who has been thru this.   Thanks

V. Trudeau  #

The Tassie Devil(le)

The rear quarter window wiring runs along the inside if the interior, under the carpet and up into the window/upholstery area.

The Shop Manual, or the Fisher Body Manual should describe it, and you do have one?

The wires in the door at the hinging post can sometimes break, but that is a rare problem, as the loom is all tied together, and protected, and designed to flex.

The Window circuitry doesn't have relays as such, but individual circuit breakers to limit the power when the windows are fully up or down.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

savemy67

Hello Viator,

If I understand your post correctly, when the driver's door is open, none of the four windows work.  Do the windows not work using the master switch in the driver's door, or do the windows not work using the switches at each window?  Do all the windows work when the driver's door is closed?  If the difference is a result of opening or closing the driver's door, that would initially indicate a problem with the wiring bundle at the pillar.  I differ from Bruce in thinking this problem is not rare.

If I recall correctly, the DeVilles use a power window relay located behind the driver's kick panel.  I do agree with Bruce that a shop manual, and Fisher Body manual will have all the information you need to trace and test the window circuit.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scot Minesinger

I agree that the door post rubber conduit could be the problem.  Suffered a similar issue on a 1966 Cadillac (perported to be same rubber conduit as a 1968 Eldorado).  With the vacuum power locks and power vent windows, the conduit on driver side was very difficult to replace, but got it done.  Especially if switches work intermittently this is a strong possibility - look for failures in the rubber conduit.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Viator Trudeau

Mike,  I have cleaned the contacts at the left door, but not at the right door, does power go thru the right door switch also for all the windows?  I will do that door also.

V. Trudeau   

The Tassie Devil(le)

I believe that the power for all the window circuits and operations goes through the left door, but each of the other window switches has its' own individual power supply, which is also operated by the drivers cut-out switch.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadman56

Hello,
I have written extensively about window wiring issues on the 1967 Eldorado.  I disassembled 7 1967 Eldorados to get enough parts to complete the frame off restoration of my 1967 Eldorado.  Every one had broken wiring in the driver door wiring rubber conduit.  You will find behind the driver kick panel and behind the lower part of the dash where it is almost impossible to get to, a relay that controls all window operating functions.  It is energized by turning on the ignition.
You must get a wiring diagram to correctly trace out the wiring on your car.
Good luck,
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Viator Trudeau

Hello to all who answered my on my window problems.   I have the manual W/ wiring diagram showing the window relay, if only the left window works the relay must be good.  Once in a while the right window will go down slowly,Wont go up( bad motor, right window used 70% less than left maybe wiring is  bad ?? Could I open up the left door switch and jumper the various wires to check the circuits ?? 

V. Trudeau

savemy67

Hello Viator,

The right window sounds like it might be a dirty motor/gearcase.  Remove it carefully using the shop manual procedure.  If the motor behaves off the car as it does on the car, then clean the motor and gearcase and re-test.

Have you opened the switch in the driver's door?  If so, did the connections match the shop manual diagram?  If not, when you do open the switch, verify that the connections match the diagram.  If they don't, someone has previously attempted a repair, which may be the cause of your trouble.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter

Viator Trudeau

More window comments,  I have had my 68 eldo for 12 years.  my problems started about four months ago. Windows worked well  before then.     Do the wires push into the bottom of the switch or must I bend the tabs to get at the contacts of the switch??  could be bad grounds on the motors.    Would the broken   wire in the loom cause my problem?

V. Trudeau

Viator Trudeau

To Cad man 56,   is there any way I could you  some of your writtings about power window issues.
Thanks.  V. Trudeau

Viator Trudeau

My recap on my '68 power windows:  W/drivers door open no windows work- broken wire in loom.

W/ it  closed only drivers window works, no others
no window will work using emergency button, drivers window(that works) wont work W/ emergency button.
windows wont work using switches at each window except drivers door.

Thanks  V. Trudeau

Quentin Hall

Most likely it will be broken or fatigued wiring between the door jamb and the door frame. The master control window stitches are all in the driver's door right? That is a big bundle of wires. They get brittle and break.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

savemy67

Hello Viator,

Thanks for the recap.  Have you had the master switch out of the driver's door?  If I recall correctly, on my '67 DeVille,  the wiring harness to the window switches can be pulled off exposing the terminals that are activated by the switches.  However, the switches themselves are contained within a housing that would need to be pried apart if you wanted to get at any internal switch components (springs, contacts, etc.).  You can still test the wires and circuits without prying open the switch housings.

It is possible that before you purchased your car, someone had already "repaired" the window wiring, and now that repair has failed.  I am speculating that the repair was not done correctly.  It was done as an expedient to get the windows working by altering the factory connections.  My '67 manual discusses how to test the window circuit from the fuse panel through to the switches.  Do you have test jumper wires and a multi-meter?  If so, you can use them with the test procedures in the manual.  Good luck.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter

D.Smith

Several of the wires in the drivers door conduit were broken in my 68 Eldorado when I bought it.
Very common problem on these cars for some reason.

Rob Troxel

Almost guaranteed that the wires in the drivers conduit are broken from the door opening and closing.  Wires and insulation gets brittle. Mine had 5 wires that were broken. I did splice in extra wire for each repaired wire.  A but joint repair would most likely cause another break in the existing wire.

I also ran into this issue with my 67 Rivera many years ago too.

Glen

This problem is worse on the cars with power door locks.  They are vacuum operated and the vacuum hoses make it much tighter in the wire harness. 
I have had to fix wires in my 68 ELDO several times. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104