News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Cadillac Headlight Switch - No Dash Lights

Started by Dualskegs62, October 31, 2016, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualskegs62

It just crapped out. The dome light will come on when it's turned all the way counter clockwise but the dash lights stopped coming on. Is this something I may be able to remedy myself? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Chris Bischoff - Member 30257

P. Manoogian

Depends on your level of competence and patience. Start by getting a fine file and filing the round contact on the tab that touches the resistor. These do come apart and are rebuildable.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like you have a broken resistor coil in the headlight switch.

It is found in the ceramic piece that is in the first part of the switch, and is rotated by the headlight knob shaft.

These do break, and in most cases, the best fix is to obtain a replacement switch.

Another way, but not really correct, is to install a rheostat in the dash and remove the dash light wiring from the headlight switch, and wire connect them to the new rheostat.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Julien Abrahams

Although unlikely it could also be the case that your dash lamps are simply kaput.
I would replace the headlight switch. I had a similar problem (my dash lights were like a disco while driving) and after replacing the switch, all was fine.

Julien.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

russ austin

62-63 headlamp switches are small bricks of gold. Hard to come by new, at sane prices.

Its either the connector tabs on the ceramic block, a bad fuse, or a blown resistor coil.  I have repaired blown coils by soldering the break.

A work of caution. The resistor blows when the hot bar on the headlight switch shorts to a ground. That happens during removal/installation.  So it is best to disconnect the car battery before removing the headlight switch.
R.Austin

Dualskegs62

Thanks all. I'll be pulling it out soon and I'll check it out based on all of your feedback.

cadillacmike68

Sometimes the metal tab that slides along the resistor coil just gets loose or oxidized. Cleaning it might help.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Dualskegs62