News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Manifold gasket ?

Started by atime, October 30, 2016, 02:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atime

I had an annoying manifold leak on the left side exhaust manifold.I removed all the manifold bolts without a problem, in fact two were already loose which seemed strange. I also removed the heat riser and mount which is sandwiched between the head and manifold. I have the Felpro gaskets but since it did not have any should I just use some high temp sealer? Any ideas are appreciated, it is a 1980 Eldorado.

TJ Hopland

If you have freshly machined heads and surfaced manifolds clean and dry works well and was how Cadillac originally did it.    On 'used' stuff a gasket is the best chance of success.    Sealer is tough because if the heat.

If a new gasket burns out you then have to make sure there is not some reason for extra heat, if there isn't then next would be get the manifolds surfaced.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

atime

I guess i'll go with a gasket only between the head and heat riser mount. I have attached a picture of the heat riser mount that goes between the head and manifold.

wbdeford

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 30, 2016, 02:35:28 PM
If you have freshly machined heads and surfaced manifolds clean and dry works well and was how Cadillac originally did it.    On 'used' stuff a gasket is the best chance of success.    Sealer is tough because if the heat.

If a new gasket burns out you then have to make sure there is not some reason for extra heat, if there isn't then next would be get the manifolds surfaced.

I had an exhaust leak due to surface issues on my 58 where the block meets the intake manifold.  I used a "copper" RTV sealant there and it has held for about 15 years.  Not saying that will work for your situation, but throwing that out there for consideration.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

Interesting that the shield was sort of the gasket.   Are you planning on keeping the shield?   No shield just a standard gasket.   With the shield I wounder if you would do a gasket on one side?  Which side?  2 gaskets I would think would be too much.   If it was just one I think I would put the shield to the head then gasket then manifold.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

atime

I ended up using a gasket between the head and the heat shield. I did use the high temp copper permatex on all mating surfaces. So far all is quite...
I also did use new stainless steel bolts and anti seize.