News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado hood vibration

Started by 7gen, November 11, 2016, 08:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

I'm seeing some vibration in the hood as I drive. Not a lot and only on the driver's side. I'm guessing that is a function of tire balance. I had them balanced as best as the tire store could and it took about 90% of the issue away. Are there some tires that work better than others for curing this? I plan to buy 4 new radial tires (Mastercraft 235s were on the car when I bought it). Any thoughts about what I need to be doing watching over the balancing process? I plan to use a Dunn Tire, a chain in the Northeast.

Or maybe with a hood as long as this one, it is normal to get a little vibration showing up?

The Tassie Devil(le)

It doesn't take much of an imbalance to cause vibrations, and also a slowly-parting steel belt tread.

But, the tyre balancer should have picked that up.

What you could do is swap the front wheels from side to side, and see if that makes a difference.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

7gen

Another great opportunity to play with my newest toy - a 3.5 ton floor jack. I'll try swapping and see what happens. Thanks!!

TJ Hopland

This era Eldo does seem to be pretty sensitive to tire balance.   Even with the 'computer' says its perfect these cars still vibrate.   If you see a lot of weights in one area it may be a sign that the rim or tire itself has an issue.    Sometimes shifting the orientation on the rim helps.  Other times nothing helps.     Using standard weights on just the inside does not usually work well.   Best seems to be the combo of standard on the inside and the special CAX on the outside.    Stick on should work too but so far I have been able to find the special weights.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

7gen

BillR. CLC # 29203

K. Reynolds,

There's a gaggle of weights on eBay.

Good luck!!

BillR.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

7gen

Another milepost - I now have an ebay account! I thank everyone for the advice.

Scot Minesinger

Also, make sure the rubber stops under hood are not hard, cracked, out of adjustment or gone.  Make sure hood latch is adjusted correctly too.  Then make sure the rubber fender to hood rubber pieces (kind of L shaped) are pliable and soft (and not gone).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty