News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Original 1966 DeVille radio only extends the antenna sometimes

Started by Tsteagall, December 12, 2016, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsteagall

When I purchased my 1966 DeVille Convertible a year ago it had a crappy aftermarket radio in it so I found an original one on Ebay and installed it.  Much to my amazement it works and it even will retract the antenna reliably every time but it only puts it up every once in a while.  I hooked up a bypass switch to operate it in both directions so I know the antenna works but I would like the radio to do it.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to why I'm having this issue?  Thanks

Highwayman68

I had the same issue and validated the motor just like you did. If it is like the radio on my 68 and you are pulling or pushing on the Volume or Tuning dial then there is a reed switch connected to that knob that is triggered with the pulling or pushing of the knob. I used contact cleaner and a Qtip to clean the reeds and mine started operating in both directions again.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

John McDaniel #30295

If by chance you think the person you purchased the original radio from happens to have another, I sure would like to get one.  Please pass on the contact information if you have it.
Looking to learn as much as I can to improve the collectibility of these fine automobiles!

1966 Triple Black Convertible

Former collectibles:
1959 Series 62 Converible
1959 Series 62 Six Window Sedan
1965 GTO Convertible
1957 Thunderbird

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Which radio are you seeking? AM/FM or AM/FM Stereo? Please advise.
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tsteagall

Thanks for the cleaning tip and I have seen these radios on Ebay often.

John McDaniel #30295

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on December 12, 2016, 07:20:09 PM
Which radio are you seeking? AM/FM or AM/FM Stereo? Please advise.
Thanks, Bob

I am seeking the am/fm stereo as that is what it came with.
Looking to learn as much as I can to improve the collectibility of these fine automobiles!

Former collectibles:
1965 GTO Convertible
1957 Thunderbird

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I have an AM/FM stereo radio but I don't have the remote amp. The radio has the knobs. It has been dry stored but has some pitting on the chrome. Price $50 plus shipping. Please advise.
Bob

John McDaniel #30295

Thanks Mr. Hoffman, I have a lead on one with the amp so if you wouldn't mind letting me run that trap first I would sure appreciate it.

Former collectibles:
1965 GTO Convertible
1957 Thunderbird

Tsteagall

I have the AM/FM radio but I was unaware of a remote amp.  Can you tell me where the amp is located?  Thanks

Highwayman68

The amp is behind/above the glove box and connects in the back of the radio using a 1" round connector with a ring of pins on it.

Tsteagall

hmmm, I'll check for that but I haven't seen that kind of connector.  I got this am/fm radio off ebay, maybe the car originally only had am radio.  Would that mean it didn't come with an amp?

Highwayman68

Mine originally came with an AM radio and it has an amp. I will be able to look and take pictures on Thursday. I can look at the shop manual then too and let you know.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Highwayman68 on December 20, 2016, 07:07:18 PM
Mine originally came with an AM radio and it has an amp. I will be able to look and take pictures on Thursday. I can look at the shop manual then too and let you know.
The stereo was the only radio that required an amp. Per the shop manual.
Bob

Highwayman68

Here is a picture of where the amplifier round connector plugs into the radio

Tsteagall

Thank you for the information.  Mine definitely does not have the amp but the AM/FM radio I bought from Ebay does not have that connection but works anyway.