News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 deville front brake disc conversion kits.

Started by C.CHAMBERS777, February 06, 2023, 05:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.CHAMBERS777

I have searched this topic on the forum and it's been a few years since it's came up.

I am wanting to convert my front drums across to the disc and dual MC set up on my 57 deville.  From my research I understand there is some additional tubing work required because of the Hydro-vac system used in 57, I am not too worried about originality it's more the additional stopping power and relatability I am after.

Has anyone did this recently , I have seen kits from caddy daddy and abs power brakes in CA. I have wire wheels on the car just now but I have stock wheels I may be switch across to, the wire wheels I am told will require spacers to make it fit but all I've heard with stock wheels is that it may fit or it might not. If anyone has any info or advice on the job before I do it then it's much appreciated, thank you.

Chris

dplotkin

I caution anyone from a disk brake conversion on an old Cadillac. I have experience with this on other cars. Brake systems were and are highly engineered using a multitude of variables that include weight,  pedal height, mechanical leverage, travel and effort. Many things are taken into account such as master cylinder bore and wheel cylinder bore diameter, piston travel, and volume of displaced fluid. All of these determine how hard and how far you push the pedal and what happens when you do.

The typical disk brake conversion kits are an assembly of parts designed to make generic parts work reasonably well on light weight hot rods or lighter weight muscle cars. Here they can work well. However for big, heavy cars with lots of weight transfer they often do not work well at all.

After all I've been through with disk brake conversions on 60+ year old cars I say don't. Cadillac drum brakes in good condition will stop the car just fine. You are not often on a road course or descending steep grades fully laden are you? Then why disk brakes on a 57 Caddy? I can all but guarantee you will wish you hadn't by the time you finish, if you ever do...

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

wheikkila

I agree with Dan. I have converted many late 60's car to two and four wheel disk brakes. On those cars the kits worked well. On my 40's and early 50's cars. I upgraded the master cylinder and the brake linings. Rebuilt the wheel cylinders and my brakes worked great. And I didn't spend a small fortune.
     Thanks Wayne   

1956biarritz

Just out of curiosity, what type of issues would converting front drum brakes on a '57 caddy to disc brakes cause? What about converting front and back? I don't presently own a Cadillac of any year, but I plan on eventually buying a '56. When I do and I was thinking about having the front and back drum brakes converted to disc. If it's gonna cause a safety issue or any damage to the car I certainly won't do it.

Dan Bruner   

wheikkila

Hi Dan
That is a great question. Brakes are engineered to stop a vehicle of a size and weight. The master cylinder, wheel cylinders brake lines and the shoe size. All contribute to the brakes working properly. Like anything. When you start making changes, it can be good or bad. When I first started converting front brakes to disk. Camaros and mustangs. I used newer factory disks systems. They worked good. When the four wheel disk brake kits came out. I found some didn't work well. They where to small for the vehicle. Even though the manufacture listed them for that vehicle. Now today you do have better choices. You have to do your homework. And remember! You get what you pay for. I can't tell you how many poor systems I have removed. The first question to ask is. Do I have a brake issue or do I just want to brag I have a four wheel disk system.
Thanks Wayne               

V63

I have done 1957-60 and the one thing I noticed was an extremely low pedal with the typical 1" master cylinders provided. After trying many things I found 1 1/8" master cylinder provider better results with a higher, more comfortable,  pedal  height.
Had zero issue with factory wheels

I have NOT done 4 wheel disc... just fronts

wheikkila

You just proved my point. Just purchasing a kit doesn't mean it will work.
 Thanks Wayne