News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 cadillac transmission

Started by alien poker, January 10, 2017, 12:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Rolls-Royce models till 1964 or something like that never used the Hydramatic installed on Cadillac models from 1956 to 1964. Rolls used the first Hydramatic generation.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

Rolls actually ended up buying the design and tooling and kept building them themselves didn't they?    Was it because they didn't like the 'new' design?  Or maybe GM made em such a good deal that it made sense for them to have full control over the production?     I think I read in the early 50's there were years that GM sold more than they used themselves.     I wonder if that would have been the case if they didn't have the Buick and Chev transmissions that were different?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wbdeford

1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

Did they then start buying 400's or go to something else?   I wonder if the design just hit a horsepower limit? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

savemy67

Hello Rob,

The heaviest cars I could find that use a 700R4 prior to 1993 are the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, and Chevrolet Suburban.  How does the weight of these two cars compare to the weight of your '56 Cadillac?

If you decide to make the conversion, you will have a lot of work to do yourself, as others have indicated.  I tend to stick with the original engineering because it was mostly a holistic approach to building and selling a premium automobile.  I would argue that a competent rebuild of your Controlled Coupling Hydra-Matic will result in a reliable transmission, and save you countless hours of time, for about the same amount of money.  Good luck.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

dplotkin

Quote from: CadillacRob on January 25, 2017, 10:16:56 PM
That price is through a friend who uses him regularly for old Rolls Royces (they also used that trans), and is his "cost" of hiring the guy.

Rolls Royce licensed from GM and built in England the dual range Hydra-matic. Rolls never used the Controlled Coupling Hydra-matic skipping it until the THM400 arrived for 65.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker