News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Paint thickness tool/gauge questions

Started by Chas, March 09, 2017, 08:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chas

Need a little schooling here. I've always been one of those guys that run a magnet over the rockers/fender heals/lower quarters of cars I'm looking to buy. Been reading about these newfangled gauges that you run over the panel and it gives a readout in mils of the paint thickness/bondo. Only problem is, I've seen these tools go for $20 up to $325. So, what should an amateur like me get? Any recommended brands? Where to buy?
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Whit Otis, 1188

Back when I was in the hydraulic equipment business we used a film thickness device to measure the chrome thickness on cylinder rods. This was a pen sized device with a spring loaded plunger which was about 1/8" in dia.  The tip was magnetic.  You would hold the tip on the item to be tested and then gently pull up on the outer shell until the magnetic plunger broke free. The outer shell had a scale on it and a "window" where you could see through to a line on the plunger and hence get a reading on the film thickness. They were quit precise and expensive at the time.  Surely by  now someone has come up with a less expensive digital gizmo to do this.  I think the unit I have was made by Biddle.  I'll look tomorrow when I go over to the garage and also take a picture to post here.
Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Chas

1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

35-709

Go to Google and enter something like automobile paint thickness measuring tool  --- that is the wording I used.  You will find many.  Here is just one ---

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/112047085997?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true 

Supposedly also available at Harbor Freight, if you have one of those nearby, or order it from them.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2