News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac House in NYC.

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, March 10, 2017, 01:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 11, 2017, 02:43:31 PM
I don't know what they are smoking in the board room at Cadillac. This is NYC - lower Manhattan at that. NOBODY drives in NYC, (except taxis and police   :P  ), where do they think they are going to get any buyers from in that market.   ???

Cadillac's relocation to Manhattan was not to sell cars to New Yorkers, that's still the Potamkin dealership's job.   

But, people living and working in the NYC area do buy cars and most luxury brands, as well as many non-luxury brands, have dealerships in Manhattan.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 12, 2017, 09:02:12 AM
Cadillac's relocation to Manhattan was not to sell cars to New Yorkers, that's still the Potamkin dealership's job.   

But, people living and working in the NYC area do buy cars and most luxury brands, as well as many non-luxury brands, have dealerships in Manhattan.

I checked (haven't lived in NYC for 22 years) and there are about 10 new car dealers in Manhattan itself. That's more than I thought, but still not very many, and having lived and worked there, the percentage of people living there that own cars is Much lower than most other cities in the US. It's just not a good location for such a themed place. A wider open city, such as LA, Atlanta, or even Tampa, FL would be a better choice.

In the 3+years I worked in Manhattan, I think I drove my car in to the city 3 times, because I had to pick someone up at the airport later, and it was absolute hell trying to find a parking place or garage, and this was 22 years ago. I've been back a few times and it's gotten worse.

NYC, particularly Manhattan, is NOT a car driver friendly place and the Cadillac House is out of place there.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 12, 2017, 10:55:14 PM
I checked (haven't lived in NYC for 22 years) and there are about 10 new car dealers in Manhattan itself. That's more than I thought, but still not very many, and having lived and worked there, the percentage of people living there that own cars is Much lower than most other cities in the US. It's just not a good location for such a themed place. A wider open city, such as LA, Atlanta, or even Tampa, FL would be a better choice.

In the 3+years I worked in Manhattan, I think I drove my car in to the city 3 times, because I had to pick someone up at the airport later, and it was absolute hell trying to find a parking place or garage, and this was 22 years ago. I've been back a few times and it's gotten worse.

NYC, particularly Manhattan, is NOT a car driver friendly place and the Cadillac House is out of place there.

There are more than just 10 new car dealerships in Manhattan right now.   I'd say it’s closer to 20 representing more than 30 different auto franchises from low end to exotic.

Cadillac House, not a dealership, apparently averages more than 500 visitors per day.

Davidrubin

Back in January the Lower Hudson Region was invited to TOUR the Cadillac HQ in NYC.  Many skeptics and doubters will be pleased to see the Marketing and Communications folks housed in that space work in areas decorated with car models and sketches of Cadillacs of all generations.  They even have a conference room named LaSalle (all conference rooms are named after an actual or concept car).  They are definitely working under the premise that an old guy will buy a young-guy car, but a young guy will not buy an old-guy car.  It is their job to keep the brand going, I guess it is our job to keep the old brand heritage alive. 

Take a look:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/lowerhudsonclc/albums/72157679184843310

jdemerson

Quote from: Davidrubin on March 14, 2017, 01:25:26 PM
Back in January the Lower Hudson Region was invited to TOUR the Cadillac HQ in NYC.  Many skeptics and doubters will be pleased to see the Marketing and Communications folks housed in that space work in areas decorated with car models and sketches of Cadillacs of all generations.  They even have a conference room named LaSalle (all conference rooms are named after an actual or concept car).  They are definitely working under the premise that an old guy will buy a young-guy car, but a young guy will not buy an old-guy car.  It is their job to keep the brand going, I guess it is our job to keep the old brand heritage alive. 

Take a look:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/lowerhudsonclc/albums/72157679184843310

David,
      Thanks for the post and this link. I'm a bit surprised and certainly encouraged by what your photos reveal. I know that we can never go backwards, that the current realities are always shifting, but I DO think it is wise for Cadillac to retain visible connections with its heritage. The ads from the Academy Awards were a good start -- a positive surprise.
John Emerson
1952 Cadillac 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn