News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle Coupe Battery Issues

Started by POB, April 14, 2017, 10:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POB

I have recently (last week) purchased a 1939 LaSalle Coupe that was completely restored a few years back.  The owner had passed away and I bought the vechile from his daughter that did not have much information to give me about the electronic "workings" of the coupe.  (The wiring looks completely redone.... and done well, but not all the electronics work (clock, radio, speedometer..,)  Currently I'm having and issue with the battery.  It's not holding a charge. It's a specialty battery that was built in California by a company last June.  It's a lead acid 6 volt with 4 terminals.  I was told that it was two 6 volt batters in parellell to start the vehicle with 12 volts, but then to step down and run all electronics on 6 volts. I just purchased one Optima battery from Amazon to replace the exsisting battery. (One side of the lead acid battery is dead so I figured to start new instead of messing with the old battery)

Question:
Do I need 2 6volt Optima battery's in parellel to match the set up of the existing battery, or can I just hook up one 6 volt considering it has 800 cold cranking amps?

....I don't know the CCA of the battery already installed in the 39

Thanks for any advice

-Patrick
Patrick O'Brien
thepatrickobrienemail addresses not permitted

1939 LaSalle Coupe

tturley

Spedo is not electronic
I have a 1940 Lasalle that was an issue starting when hot and I can tell you how I solved all my issues but purists will not agree.

Tractor supply has an 8 volt battery that is the same size as the 6 volt currently used.
I bought one and installed it, also adjusted voltage regulator to put out 9 volts to keep charger, replaced battery cables with 1/0 cables and cleaned every connection.
Also added several ground straps to ground starter and battery to frame.
Some will tell you that you will burn out your 6 volt bulbs but I drive my car 2 or 3 days a week both day and night and have never replaced a bulb.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

POB

Thanks for your reply, I will defiantly check the grounding straps.  But I found this on our forum posted about 10 years ago.  if you go to the search icon and type "1800 cold cranking amps" you will find what another LaSalle owner did with connecting 2 optima batteries in parellel.

Or you can go to his website www.fzoldcars.com and click on "technical stuff"

I ordered my batteries from amazon (60$ cheaper then the store) and they will be here this week.  I will update this and let you know how it worked for me once I install them

......wish me luck!!!! Haha

Patrick O'Brien
thepatrickobrienemail addresses not permitted

1939 LaSalle Coupe

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Quote from: POB on April 15, 2017, 05:27:40 PM
Thanks for your reply, I will defiantly check the grounding straps.  But I found this on our forum posted about 10 years ago.  if you go to the search icon and type "1800 cold cranking amps" you will find what another LaSalle owner did with connecting 2 optima batteries in parellel.

Or you can go to his website www.fzoldcars.com and click on "technical stuff"

I ordered my batteries from amazon (60$ cheaper then the store) and they will be here this week.  I will update this and let you know how it worked for me once I install them

......wish me luck!!!! Haha

I replied to your other thread but thinking about it I assumed your problem was identifying your current battery 12/6 volt and that it was bad (not holding a charge) vs not being recharged. So a generator and voltage regulator check may be needed.

Grounds are critical as everyone says.

Hope this is helpful.
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe