News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Blocking exhaust manifold warming ports / Fuel Pressure Regulator

Started by cadillacjoe59, June 18, 2017, 09:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacjoe59

Looking for opinions/comments/ advice on blocking the exhaust manifold warming ports under the carburetor on a 59 Series 62 with 390. Ready to install a newly rebuilt Carter AFB and when I removed the old carb the warming tracks on intake manifold where front of carb sits were totally blocked with crud/rust. This car is located in SC and will never be driven in cold weather. Looking to see if anyone else has done this and any effects, good or bad. I just located and purchased the steel shim that goes under the carb but plan on bypassing the whole system since like I said this car will only be operating in SC and it's hot here. Also changing to electric choke and plan on closing off choke tube outlet as it's been broken since I purchased car. Also looking for opinions/comments on installing fuel regulator to reduce pressure to carb down to 3 psi. I've been reading a lot of info that with the different gas from the old days this mod would be beneficial to better idling, running and economy. Plan on using non-ethanol as its readily available here for currently about $2.40 a gallon. All opinions, advice and comments welcome. I apologize for the long winded post but I bought this basic 4 door Series 62 in 1984 with 80K original miles, when I was 21 in GA and now 33 years later after a major prostate health scare I'm FINALLY going to get the beast back on the road for local cruising, ice cream runs, and car gatherings in the area so any help, hints, advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

The Tassie Devil(le)

This is how I blocked the crossover in my '72 Eldorado.

Yours, although different in design of the manifold, will work the same.

I mounted the milling bit, which I happened to have laying around, on a half inch shaft, and powered it with my Battery Drill.   I made up a handle to control the cutter, and milled out sufficient depth of material to contain a piece of tin that I later made the pattern for, and cut it out.   Did the same on the other side, and using a bit of sealant, secured it in place, never to rattle around, or fall out.

I like to keep the fuel as cold as possible.   Plus, it is reversible if ever the climate changes that much during my lifetime, I can reverse it without any problems.   Just open out the centre of the plate.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

I blocked the heat riser carb warming ports in my 1949 with a similar engine with no adverse effect.  I live in Georgia where my car is rarely in very cold weather.  It warms up OK, though it takes longer on cool days than it did before.  I did mine by installing special intake manifold gaskets that don't have a hole for that passage that I bought from Olsen's Gaskets in Washington State.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dan LeBlanc

The gaskets that Jay referred to should also carry over and work just fine on your 1959 390.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Chas

Or, you can do it like we did as kids "back in the day", when we had no money and less sense.......just pack the runner with aluminum foil!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Tom Hoczyk , CLC 14044

I had success cutting out 2 small rectangles of sheet stainless steel, perhaps .003" thick and using a small amount of epoxy while tightening the intake manifold back into place on my '62 390.  I also purchased an electric choke from Allstate Carburetor, and it works very well.  Since that time the entire engine has been rebuilt so these ports were professionally blocked off.  The car runs amazingly well since then.
Tom Hoczyk