News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

"68 Eldo Coupe Have a broken wire in the loom (left side) Need help

Started by Viator Trudeau, August 14, 2017, 12:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Hello All on my '68 eldo drivers window only works W/ door closed, the broken wire in loom.  the right window not working Old grease in motor ?  Both quarter windows may work, open, wont close ?
Any body , can you give me an easy fix?

Thanks  V. Trudeau

TJ Hopland

When there is more than one switch involved the unused switch still comes into play so there is lots of back and fourth and it makes troubleshooting a bit more complex.   You pretty much need the diagram and to follow the path for each function from each switch to see what is involved and where the issue(s) could be. 

If its old grease if you try and operate them in a darker area with the engine off you will see the lights dim when you hit the switch. 

These motors have brushes in them so wear is possible.   Like any brush motor as they wear they tend to become weak and can develop dead spots that sometimes jostling (like slamming the door) will temporally remedy.     I don't think these motors were meant to be serviced but they can be you just sometimes have to be creative when it comes to parts.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadman56

There is NO easy fix for these problems.  The door panels have to come off to clean/regrease mechanisms.  If it is broken wires in rubber conduits you can cut the conduit open to locate the wires and repair ( looks very nasty/not an option ) or locate where the wires are connected to the body behind the kick panels, disconnect them and pull from the body.  Then you can remove the rubber conduit and fix the wiring.
I completed a 'body off' full restoration on a 67 Eldo.  Good luck.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820