News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac power locks (same it looks like for 1966 and 1967 and other?)

Started by Scot Minesinger, August 25, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Working on a 1968 Cadillac RWD DVC (two door) with optional power locks and the car suffers a slow vacuum leak.  After the car is shut off the vacuum locks stop working after about ten minutes, whereas ideally when new they would work several days later.  Have replaced all vacuum hoses that are routed thru the rubber door conduit and all vacuum hoses in door, mainly as a precaution.  The leak is narrowed down to the remote valve (that brass color block behind glove box) or possibly the switches.

Question:  That remote valve can have internal leaks which could bleed off vacuum it appears, and of course external leaks too.  What is best way to deal with the remote valve?  Is it able to be rebuilt by myself?  Do I need to send it out?  Are replacements that work (not China crap) available?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

In my opinion, the best way to deal with the valve would to first be sure you want to go down that rabbit hole.
As it could be that valve or the switches, may I suggest you just bypass the valve and see if the leak goes away. If it does then you know you need to go into/replace it. If the leak doesn't go away then you can concentrate on the switches. The last thing you want to do is open it if not necessary and create a problem where none exists (I have learned that little bit of advise after being married several years).
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

The remote valve is not difficult to access, and want to replace/repair it.  Do you know if that is able to be resealed (there are also internal seals).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty