News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need engine tork spec. For all bolts on motor

Started by Jeffdaggs, August 30, 2017, 02:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffdaggs

Hi new here. Anyone have a complete sheet with all the tork spec for the
1970 cadillac 472 engine. I am rebuilding the motor
And need to tork all bolts, oil pump,cam,fuel pump. Etc.
Thank you!

76eldo

What you need is a shop manual.

I don't know if these specs are all on one or two pages or most probably in each section covering the part to be fastened.

Doing a whole motor without the factory shop manual is like jumping in a speedboat with Stevie Wonder at the helm.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeffdaggs

I have the shop manual, they are weak when it comes to tork specs. 

m-mman

Realistically the only critical torque values are for the head bolts and the rod/main bearings. Maybe the intake manifold. . . . ?
Valve covers? Carburetor? Oil Pan? You just gotta make them 'tight'.

Torque values are actually 'universal' based on the size of the fastener. There exist engineering type charts that define how tight any 1/4" 5/16" or 3/8" bolt or nut should be. Yes stronger fasteners (grade 5? grade 8?) can be tightened more BUT what are they compressing? (remember, valve covers are just tin)

Correct torquing specifications are also based on CLEAN threads (must use a tap & die to clean up both the bolts and the holes) that are WELL OILED (not dry) But how many people actually do this during assembly?

DO be careful on reading the units!!
INCH/pounds are NOT the same as FOOT/pounds (in/lb   ft/lb) . . . . and technically it's actually pound/feet not foot/pounds. . . .
Recently somebody snapped off their pan(?) or valve cover(?) bolts by over tightening them. 

Just remember that old cars were never as precision as modern vehicles. They were never made with stretchable head bolts that required replacement when removed.

They were simple machines and more than anything else you just needed common sense over high tech numbers.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

savemy67

Hello Jeff,

I have a '67 Sedan DeVille with a 429 motor.  The '67 shop manual I have lists complete torque specifications - from the A/C adjusting bracket to the main bearing caps - for the engine in the Engine Mechanical section.  Your post states that "I have the shop manual, they are weak when it comes to tork specs."  What do you mean by this?  Is your '70 shop manual missing the torque specifications for your 472?

An alternative source for torque specifications can be found online at any reputable fastener or engineering website.  Maximum values are given for common bolt diameters by SAE grade of bolt.  Not all bolts are marked with an SAE grade, but the diameter and the usage should be able to get you in the ballpark.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Each section of the manual will spell it out and it has them at the end. As stated earlier check inch/foot pounds. The waterpump has both for example.
Also, as referred to earlier, some poor guy broke his valve cover bolts because there was an error in the manual. If it doesn't feel right then stop.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Jeffdaggs on August 30, 2017, 03:56:04 PM
You must be reading the wrong pages, as every torque specifications is listed in each section.

There is also a listing in the index at the back of the Shop Manuals.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I take it that you have the Cadillac Shop Manual, and not one of the aftermarket ones?
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Jeffdaggs on August 30, 2017, 03:56:04 PM

You have the actual Cadillac manual?  1970 is a sort of silvery blue cover with blue title at the bottom and the Cadillac crest in a diamond in the upper left.   Like others have said those have the torque specs in a nice table at the end of every section. 

If you have something like a haynes manual then ya they are a little weak in just about every aspect except maybe when used as a shim. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeffdaggs

Yea I have a Haynes manual. Ok so for one I can not find
Anything that shows how much to tork the cam bolt to
I'm talking about the bolt that holds on the round cover
That the fuel pump arm rides on. Some call it the cam button.
I'm using all stainless bolts and arp rods,mains,head bolts. Motor is .30
Over. Machine shop did rods,mains and pistons.
Thanks for the info guys!

savemy67

Hello Jeff,

As noted in some of the above posts, the Haynes manual will not provide complete torque specification information (nor complete rebuild information for that matter).  Your safest bet is to obtain a genuine Cadillac Shop Manual for 1970.  I have a '67 so I cannot provide the torque specification for the fuel pump eccentric, as my 429 has the eccentric as an integral part of the camshaft.  Perhaps some other forum member with a 1970 will chime in.

Why are you using stainless bolts?  Are the ARP bolts in your engine stainless?

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Glen

The attached file is from the 70 Shop Manual.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104