News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Best Rubber adhesives and paint

Started by gary griffin, October 30, 2017, 04:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

A few details left and I need to adhere rubber parts to metal and also need to paint rubber to cover patches.  Occurring in running boards and rear gravel guards,  Also need to rubber paint some fiberglass and resin repairs on stone guards.

Hoping to find a paint that flows on smoothly like a thin paint and a glue that really works.

All will be black of course.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

35-709

Hard to beat 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive for rubber to metal bonding.  Available many places including WalMart. 
3M also makes a quality rubberized undercoat in spray cans.  Rustoleum in brush-on form.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

If you’ve got a West Marine near you, go have a look at their 3M adhesives.  I needed to attach some rubber-backed weatherstrip to stainless steel, and after doing some research found a 3M adhesive (designated by a 4 digit number).  West had it, and it has held up for several years so far.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Tom Beaver

3M Scotch-Weld High Performance Contact Adhesive No. 1357.  Used this to attach rubber covers to the steel running boards, works very well with no problems, at least for the past 10 years.

Tom Beaver

55 cadi

I have used a few, the 3m adhesive is very good.

For making rubber look good or to cover a small fix on rubber, I used the spray on liquid tape, it covers smooth and is rubber like when dry. I used on my a/c rear scoop rubber, looks new.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

wrench

Another vote for 1357. It's not exactly black, but it is good contact cement.

We call it 'gorilla snot'
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Janousek

Wurth  Rubber Glue

Best product I've found for bonding rubber to painted metal or bare metal or more rubber.  I don't have a picture but I get it at the local paint store.  It comes in a 6 oz. can with a brush attached to the lid.  I don't use it for weatherstrip as 3m weatherstrip is better for that stuff. 

Gary,  did you use those sill plates and gravel shields from All Cads?  I bought the gravel shields and I'm going to purchase the sill plates.  Mine were that great once I removed them for the car.  Lots of crumbling.  I know last year you talked about selling the sill plates. 

Caddy Wizard

The key with adhesives is to follow the instructions.  For example, with contact cements, you apply some to both surfaces, allow the glue to dry a little, and then put the two together.  If you rush it and put the two pieces together before that, it won't stick very well. So follow the directions for best results...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)