News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to mount King Bee side mirrors?

Started by z3skybolt, March 12, 2018, 05:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Gents,

I want to add King Bee side mirrors to my 1940 LaSalle series 52 coupe.  I cringe at the thought of drilling holes in the door frame to mount them. Is there any other process?  I read about "clamp on" types but when I look them up they all seem to require drilling holes.  ALLCADS and other sources sell reproductions of the original.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Bob,
I can help. Send me an email to bobscads@comcast.net
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

z3skybolt

bob,

I sent the requested email to you.

Thanks

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

gary griffin

I just purchased a pair of King Bees for my 1940 LaSalle but no decision to make as the holes are there and tapped already. Specifically at 2 inches apart as that was the standard. Clamp on's have always slipped down when I used them!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

z3skybolt

Thanks Gary,

I just looked at my car.  Surprised that with a very careful examination I found the holes for the driver's side....filled in when the car was restored and invisible for all practical purposes.

I am still trying to decide what I want to do.  No question that a driver's side mirror, at least, is important.  Now that my engine overhaul is finally properly complete...I am driving her a lot more.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Schuman

Bob,
In my experience with two cars with your body shape(40 LaSalle 5227C and 41 Cadillac 6219D) the right mirror is useless, being almost totally invisible to the driver, unless it would be mounted much higher up and therefore farther back on the door pillar. The left mirror is in my opinion very important for safe driving.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Jim Miller

I agree with Bob. I bought a right hand mirror for my 41 Cadillac and it was worthless to see anything. I added a snap on panoramic rear view mirror. Gives me a broader view out the back windows, but easy to remove.
Jim
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bob, Bob, Jim & anyone else,
You guys obviously don't know the "trick" to better viewing on a RH mirror. I'll share it. You need a belt sander. Take the mirror in hand & chamfer the foot where it attaches to the car. You leave the forward part of the foot alone & chamfer about 1/16" at the rear of the foot on a nice slope. I'm not gonna guarantee 100% viewing  but... half a loaf is BETTER than NOTHING! Feel free to ask questions.
Bob

Jim Miller

Bob
I understand what you are saying, I'm going to check it out. I have a pad on one of my sanders that can do metal. I purchased a mirror when I bought the car last year. I was lucky enough ( can't say smart enough) to have my wife hold it in place before I tried anything permanent. Of course, when I could not see with it I sent it back - worth another look. The panoramic rear view works pretty well, but I feel naked without the side view.
Jim
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX