News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Convertible frozen passenger electric door lock

Started by 76 cadillac bob, March 07, 2018, 03:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76 cadillac bob

1976 eldorado convertible has a very stuck passenger side electric door lock. I took off panel, fixed it and discovered when locked it does not unlock with either a key or pulling on knob or switch. It works but the mechanism is totally frozen. Luckily I did not shut the door completely so with some pliers and moving the inner handle I managed to get the door open and disconnected the rod from the electric motor so I can manually lock the door now. I have tried WD40, pulling and pushing on the rod going into the round cylinder but no luck. It does work I hear the clicking of the motor but no movement.  How do you get to it without cutting the inner metal panel? I have good tactile feel as this is a blind fix but there has to be an easier way??

The Tassie Devil(le)

If it is the same as the ones on the '72, then it is simply a case of the plunger it rusted inside the housing, but it can be fixed.

If someone can advise that it is the same as the '72, then I will go further, as I had to fix one on my car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

On my vehicles the motor can be replaced with the window
up, maybe drill some rivets.  Mine are not really repairable.   
Bruce Roe

Eldorado James

The door solenoid is seized.  The rubber boot at the top decays and water gets into them....creates rust...voila!  Seized!  No repairing that, simply just needs a replacement.  I have them available...PM me if interested.

E. James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

cadillactim

Bruce

The only difference between the 1971-75 coupe solenoids and the 1976 coupe solenoids is the plug in connector changed. One can simply splice the wires.

Tim
Tim Groves

bcroe

Quote from: cadillactim
Bruce

The only difference between the 1971-75 coupe solenoids and the 1976 coupe solenoids is the plug in connector changed. One can simply splice the wires.

Tim

Check the operation, wires reversed and that lock will
work in reverse.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

I repaired mine by carefully unfolding the outer sleeve where it clamps the end plate, and then drove the central slider out, and after cleaning it all out, reassembled the unit.

I replaced the rubber seal with a short length of bicycle inner tube, and sealed the part that encircles the shaft.

Wish I knew where I put the pictures.

After repairing mine, I managed to obtain a new one for when and if it breaks down again.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Pictures.

As to why I repaired it?   Well, down here, we just have to do stuff as replacement parts for "odd" cars are hard to obtain.   Plus, I like a challenge.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

Anyone know if new ones are available?   How about the boots?    What year did they go to the motors?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76 cadillac bob

My predicament is that I have big arms and hands and how do you get the unit out? my inner door is a sheet of welded metal with a big hole where the handle is for opening the door I have to reach way in to get anywhere near the unit. Are there screws on the side of the door that hold the cylinder in place? I have a schematic for the door I can use, but if there is an easier way, I am all for it. I did put the window up  which helps. Thanks for everyones advise.

76 cadillac bob

Hi Eldorado James, I am interested in a replacement IF I can get the old one out. I am seeing my mechanic on Monday who has a smaller build, maybe he can help me out on this. I will let you know.
Bob

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

My arms are reasonably big, and I have been told I have big hands, but I had no problem reaching in and accessing them.

Mine were held in place by screws, and these were accessed from the rear end of the door.    Hex headed countersunk bolts.

They are shown in the Fisher Body Service Manual, under Electric Door Lock Solenoid in Section 6.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

A funny thing I noticed with these solenoids.

The ones I have in the picture are off a 1971 and have two securing bolts, but the Fisher Body Manual shows that there are three bolts securing them in place.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Eldorado James

@Bruce - I think the early 1971 units were carry over from 1970 (Same as I understand it....I never had a 1970 Coupe/Eldo to know for sure, but the #s were the same).  Somewhere in there they switched up to the 3 bolts, which almost everything I've ever seen for 1971-76 has.  Sedan ones, however, are all 2 bolt.

@76 Cadillac Bob - I am sure you will get it out.  Once the pads are off, remove the 3 bolts.....it will be dangling in there on the connecting rod.  Disconnect the wire from inside the inner door, allowing the actuator to swing upward.  Slide the rod out of the rubber grommet at the top of the unit, disconnect the power lead.  Simple!

E. James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

bcroe

For the 2 bolt (used in my late 70s) the unit is located straight down
from the door lock button.  Mine are fastened by 2 rivets offset
slightly from a center line, doors without power locks have slight
dents indicating where to drill to add them.  Haven't seen the 3
bolt type, but must be similar layout.  Bruce Roe

Eldorado James

@bcroe,

You must have a very very late manufacture date convertible.  What is it?  I only encountered the 1977-78 motor style once before in a 1976....I had gotten in one of the few genuine 1976 Eldorado Biarritz models for a parts car, and was surprised to see them in the doors (as opposed to the long shiny cylinder look of the 1970-76 style.  I think I still have them actually.  Interesting though!  They must have run out of the cylinder ones due to high demand of the big cars before the "small" ones came in 1977.  :)

E James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

bcroe

I don't have a 76 or a convertible.  My cars are late 70s.  Bruce Roe

76 cadillac bob

Greetings all, good news, the actuator I purchased from a forum member works like a charm. Once I figured out the screws, it came right out and the connecter disconnected quickly. I almost got my arm stuck putting it back, but hey that is half the fun of working on these babys. I was able to secure the rod with the clip-blind, luckily I knew what I was doing. All is good and both actuators work better than before. Good solid punches.
PS: the old one was so frozen it did not move either in a swivel  or in and out, it was totally gone. Feel great about this, check it off the list of things needing to get done. Thanks for all the advise.
Cadillac Bob