News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Series 62 Power Window Question

Started by bobchaney, April 01, 2018, 03:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobchaney

Folks,
I'm finally getting around to replacing the front drivers side window cylinder. Since the four position switch also needs replaced I thought I'd ask what is the correct order of the window the switches operate? I checked the Authenticity manual but it doesn't seem to have that detail. I scanned the picture out of the manual and have put the order of how my switches were wired. Does this match how others have them? Thanks for your help

Bob
CLC #28432
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bob,
EVERY old car I've had with power windows uses that format.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

papas52cad

Hi bob
I have a 52 Fleetwood and live in upstate NY, saw you r working on your per window switches, they look the same as yours, can you tell me how the decorative bezel comes on and back on, my rear pass. Window switch does not work, yet window does work thru the dr, master switch, I’d like to have a look and perhaps replace it if not too big a deal, any leads on buying a replacement is appreciated, I know the usual choices like mcveys does have them and saw one on EBAY
Thanks
I sent u a pm the other day - does not seem it got thru, so thought it best to send thru this topic.
Take care and good luck with your car.
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

bobchaney

Hi Peter,
I've attached a couple of pics that should help. Basically there are tabs on each side of the retainer. You need to insert a screwdriver into each side and pull the tabs out away from the switch and then pull the retainer off. I will say the tabs aren't easy to get pulled out enough for the switch to come out. It's probably easiest to remove the wires from the switch and then take the door panel off completely. That way you can lay it down and work on it much easier. I sent you a PM with where I purchased my switches from as I don't think we're supposed to mention specific company names. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Bob
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

papas52cad

Thx Bob

So to be clear, before removing door panel, does the chrome bezel come out first ( and easily) from photo looks like there are other tabs that looks like they hold the bezel to the door.. am I correct ?
So if that is correct and I understand what you found, I should first pull the chrome bezel out far enough and then remove the wires from the switch that are then in view, and do further repairs to switch or whatever else needs attention
Thank you again
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

bobchaney

Peter,
I removed the door handle and all the screws/clips that hold the door panel on. I then leaned the door panel out far enough to disconnect the wires from the switch. With the door panel out you have much better access to the retainer clips that hold the switch from behind the door panel to the chrome bezel on the front side. Since I was replacing the hydraulic cylinder I needed to take the panel off anyway. I had an extra single position switch that I wired in so I could operate the window and make sure the new cylinder was working and didn't have any leaks which is what you see in this picture.

Bob
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

papas52cad

Thanks for quick reply Bob
Now I understand.
This helps.
Btw was removing the door handle difficult?
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

bobchaney

Well the door handles (and the window wings on the front doors) have a little C clip that holds them in place. They are usually not too bad to remove with a tool like this. I usually indulge in a glass of pinot grigio afterwards as a reward.

Bob
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

papas52cad

I have one of those.
Many thanks and yes a glass of Pinot, or Cab...in my case always helps, wonder who came up with that design, I know Ford used the same clips ( I had a 57 Fairlane which I sold to get my Cad!
Thx again Bob
I am leaving this all to the glass installer to enjoy later today, just hope he does not indulge BEFORE HE STARTS!
1952 Fleetwood