News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Coupe DeVille 365 Engine

Started by csteeves, May 23, 2018, 02:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csteeves

I am still completing my research on the Pertronix 2 electronic module and flamethrower higher voltage .6 ohm coil converting the points to electronic ignition. Is anyone using this product on a similar car and has there been any performance or reliability issues since converting. And how long have you been using it?
The spark plug wires should be suppressor type wire non solid core?

35-709

Over the years I have installed a Pertronix in a '60 Cadillac coupe, 2 '66s, a '73 (pre-HEI car) and a few other non-Cadillac types.  I have never had any problem whatsoever with them although that is not to say others haven't, but the problems seem to be relatively rare.  Nothing is 100% trouble free but trouble free has been my experience.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

csteeves

With the vehicles you have installed the pertronix have you noticed smoother idling and better acceleration compared to points.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I put one in the 70. Just used the base Petronix and stock coil as I don't need anything fancy Just remember you need to bypass the resistor to get a full 12 volts.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

35-709

Mmmm, not really, maybe a little better idle, my cars are cruisers, I wasn't looking for stomp.  It would be hard to define the small amount of acceleration improvement you might get without taking it to the drag strip and having it timed before and after.

Quote from: csteeves on May 23, 2018, 04:14:00 PM
With the vehicles you have installed the pertronix have you noticed smoother idling and better acceleration compared to points.

fishnjim

They provide a higher energy spark and more reliable spark over points.   The plugs and cap/rotor remain the same so they can only do so much.   Instead of a mechanical cam follower pickup, which wears and cause gap issues, it's replaced with a proximity pickup and switching is done electronically so no points contacts to burn and corrode.   Has little to do with idle unless suffering low or intermittent spark.   Those are mostly other cause related.   The payout is not that good but cost is minimal and points are getting higher and harder to find and pain to mess with.   I had my fill decades ago.
I converted my '58 365, >75k miles, and other than not having to adjust points*, which is an issue on these rear distributor high side fat fendered cars, it still had all the other issues requiring rebuild.   It ran for a few years before and on the dyno after rebuild with the pertronix with no issues but won't fix unrelated problems.   I'm working on other stuff while motor is out, so not running at moment.   
Quite easy to install just follow the directions and they will respond to questions.   You really can't tell it's in there, except the silicone sheathed wires, if worried about appearance.
* - prefer the dwell method with the flex driver over feeler gauging. 

35-709

;D  I can remember as a teenager, my car always ran much better after a wash and wax.