News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Verifying the VIN for 1971 Cadillac Eldorado missing Vin plate

Started by u163367, May 26, 2018, 07:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

u163367

Hello, I'm the proud owner of a 1971 Eldorado with the title in hand since 2012. Never had any issues and the car was given to me by my Dad who owned it for years. I never questioned the VIN but today I was going to sell the car and the purchaser asked to verify the VIN on the title with the car. The VIN plate that should be on the windshield appears to be missing. Someone spray painted the dash at one point so maybe covered it but I don't feel embossed lettering. Does anyone know the best way to provide proof that the car I'm selling is in fact the one on the title? The VIN number on the title matches the correct format for the car. There is just no physical VIN on the car that I know of. None of the online title or records searches provide reports fro VINs this old. Any help is appreciated.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

If it has the original engine, the VIN is Also stamped on the engine block pad behind the intake manifold.

Hopefully it's the same Number on the title.

Good Luck

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

chrisntam

On my '70, the VIN is also on the transmission (turbo 400).
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

On my '70 the VIN is on a sticker inside the drivers door....
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Scot Minesinger

The odd thing is that when the dash pad is removed, the VIN remains in place.  Perhaps it is incorrectly installed and you could remove it and see.  The dash pad is not difficult to remove - consult owner's manual for procedure (it is like 5 screws and a few electrical disconnections. 

The door sticker is first place I would go as Laurie suggested because it is extremely unlike that the door has ever been replaced and it is way easier to see than the engine and trans markings.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I ran into this issue with my 70. The embossing in the vin plate is very poor. It was hard to read but I was able to ID it. I took it in to be inspected and it was hard to read so they tried to clean it. Now it is almost impossible. Engine and trans match tho.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille