News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Ford to American car buyer: "Ford doesn't make family sedans anymore."

Started by James Landi, May 25, 2018, 08:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Powers

Ford is showing once again the American auto industry's lack of leadership in the American market.  Not every one wants or needs a SUV to drive which is witnessed by the tremendous numbers of new Honda Accords and Civics or the Toyota Camrys and Corrollas crowding the highways. I wonder how Ford is going to continue to produce the number of trucks it produces without the more economical vehicles to balance federal mpg mandates. I hope that GM will take full advantage of the situation and make their sedan models more appealing to potential unhappy Ford customers.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Greg Powers on May 27, 2018, 04:14:06 PM
Ford is showing once again the American auto industry's lack of leadership in the American market.  Not every one wants or needs a SUV to drive which is witnessed by the tremendous numbers of new Honda Accords and Civics or the Toyota Camrys and Corrollas crowding the highways. I wonder how Ford is going to continue to produce the number of trucks it produces without the more economical vehicles to balance federal mpg mandates. I hope that GM will take full advantage of the situation and make their sedan models more appealing to potential unhappy Ford customers.

Almost nobody "needs" an suv...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dochawk

We thought we needed one.  Four kids and two seven-thousand mile round trips a year; the Crown Victoria had gotten too small.

Then we found we could get a comparably equipped E-150 (traveller package) that got the same mileage, with more room, for $10,000 less.

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

R S Steven

Well I want to know how Ford is going to be profitable without the sedans paying for all the hidden components like the HVAC system etc.  The first program out of the gate paid 90% the development cost for the components and that was usually the sedans. 

Also Toyota admits that the sedan market is shrinking but they see it leveling off about 2020.  How long will it stay at that new level before the market starts going back up again.

My Big complaint about sedans is that you can't get out of the beck seat without ducking down because of the stupid styling.   What good is it if you can't get in and out of it easily?

Just my 2 Cents.

R.S.

jdemerson

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on May 27, 2018, 12:22:41 PM

Don't hold your breath for an American made V8 RWD sedan (other than a CTS-V or the dodge charger beast). They have basically disappeared.

For some reason the germans can make them but not us, same with convertibles?????

Not quite true, Mike.  Cadillac is making one in early 2019 with a twin-turbo V8.  I'll predict it be a very attractive and impressive car. But will buyers want it? 

See this link:
http://www.cadillac.com/future-concept-vehicles/ct6-v-sport-sedan

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

64\/54Cadillacking

Speaking of sedans, GM’s still best combo sedans are it’s Epislon II platform ( XTS, Impala, LaCrosse) is still there best platform.

I drove a 2018 Chevy Malibu, and compared to my 17 Impala, the Malibu’s interior is very cheap feeling and didn’t drive or ride as nice as my Impala. Another reason why I bought my Impala over the Malibu. It has a much better value, it’s better constructed, it uses better materials, is quieter, has a bigger interior and huge trunk, and has GM’s solid 3.6 V6 for better reliability, smoothness and power.

Even compared to Toyota’s, Honda’s,  and Fords offerings, GM really did a great job on this platform and surpasses there sedans by a long shot in terms of overall being a better car. I’m sure the Caddy XTS is even better just because it’s way more luxurious inside and has better features.

The only problem I can see with GM is they got lazy with this platform specifically with the Impala.  Ford constantly updated the Fusion by keeping it fresh, added upgraded features, tech, and styling enhancements, Chevy did none of that with the Impala only small improvements such as adding Apple Car Play and Android Auto to its tech.. They threw most of their money and efforts into the Malibu which is understandable, but you can’t completely ignore your other vehicles and expect them to be competitive.

For instance, the Impala still uses halogen lights all around. I had to add LED headlights and LED cornering lights to my car which made it look way better and more newish. But Chevy should have already added that to the car, if a new Fusion uses LEDs all around, Chevy should do the same.

Anyways, GM needs to capitalize on Fords decision to eliminate its sedans.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

James Landi

"We live in the United States of amnesia."   Gore Vidal

When the price of gas get up around $4.50 a gallon, Ford will retool and
begin again to mass produce electric family sedans.

76Caddy

Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

jdemerson

Quote from: 76Caddy on May 28, 2018, 12:10:10 PM
What is Ford going to provide to NASCAR?

I believe that Ford has announced that Mustang will be its NASCAR model.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

cadillacmike68

Quote from: jdemerson on May 27, 2018, 08:43:41 PM
Not quite true, Mike.  Cadillac is making one in early 2019 with a twin-turbo V8.  I'll predict it be a very attractive and impressive car. But will buyers want it? 

See this link:
http://www.cadillac.com/future-concept-vehicles/ct6-v-sport-sedan

John Emerson

That's 4 years overdue and it will still cost over $100K...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Unfortunately, a V8 wasn't and isn't likely going to have a meaningful impact on the CT6.  BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz and others have offered V8s in their large sedans and have seen sales for those models decline.

Not a sedan, but Lincoln has even dropped the V8 on the current Navigator.

cadillacmike68

Time to go find another 2009 or 2010 STS with a NorthStar...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: D.Smith on May 25, 2018, 09:06:07 AM
We did it to ourselves.  If people kept buying their big cars like the Taurus they'd still offer them.     But everyone wants an SUV now.

This is not quite so simple as claimed.   The fact is that the Feds, via their rules, including CAFE requirements, which caused the manufacturers to sell more better-mileage smaller cars at thinner profit margins (and priced accordingly).. at the expense of not-quite-so-good fuel mileage cars at larger profit margins (and also priced accordingly).... so that the Feds "encouraged" buyers to choose.. a Taurus, say, versus a Crown Vic, say... because the price difference was too large, too discouraging for the buyer.  No, plainly the Feds had a significant 'hand' in the demise of larger RWD sedans (w/ small V-8s).. due to "Federal do-good-ism", heavily influencing sales statistics.   Had not CAFE existed as enacted, the price margins between mid-size cars versus larger RWD cars would not have been near as far apart.   Thus, sales of larger RWD cars slipped ---- but NOT because of pure consumer preference(s)!

So, while it is true that more and more buyers were opting for SUVs and pickups, it's NOT a pure decision.... like motor vehicle decisions used to be.   It's tainted!

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: BJM on May 26, 2018, 08:53:19 AM
Yes it is a mistake to abandon tradition such as Ford is suggesting.  It says more about the inner lack of marketing and product planning at Ford then it does about American tastes.   SUV's are here to stay but they don't define the entire marketplace.

I could not agree more with this excellently-expressed rationale right here.   What's the average age of product planners at Ford?  at GM?   

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: jdemerson on May 26, 2018, 01:14:08 PM

What hurts reliability today is new electronics technology.

John Emerson

For me, this is ironic... because I once went to school for electronics technology and was employed in that industry for a while...... but I came to absolutely HATE it.

But what really bothers me TODAY... is the mis-placed, over-the-top "faith" in electronics by the car manufacturers' engineers, both design & applied.   Electronics is "a double-edged sword"... that is like the old Roman two-faced 'god'.... but which will "turn" on you, without warning.. and with a dreadful vengeance!

I prefer to live without such semi-disguised tyranny.

Maynard Krebs

Anybody else notice that BMW and M-B still make only RWD automobiles?   A few others still make some RWDs.

I had one FWD (a Buick).. and I don't want another one.