News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Had The Ark out today - too much anxiety...

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, July 16, 2018, 12:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexi

Really George? Ever hear of car-jacking? Of course this stuff happens. This case happened to me about 3 years or so ago. It also happened to my father who was stuck in rush hour traffic some 40 years ago one afternoon coming home from work. He was a Police Officer (and in uniform, though he was driving his personal daily driver at the time). While sitting in traffic this young hippie like nerd with a back pack jumps into his car asking for a ride! Dad pulled his gun on him, aiming it straight at his face, and this guy bolted real fast leaving the passenger door open. So this stuff does happen. Were these 2 incidents a prelude to a car-jacking or just a pair of idiots exercising their right to poor judgement? Don't know. Having worked in law-enforcement for 37 years I could tell you stories that would turn your hair white, (if it is not already). Clay/Lexi

Scot Minesinger

The worst thing a stranger did to me when I took my 1970 Cadillac out was to ask me what year it is and after hearing my response, he asked (and other have too) "Are you the original owner?"  I have a bunch of answers prepared for such types of inquires.

With a closed car, no one will get a in a locked car.  No one has tried a photograph that I know of that would damage the car. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Just make a Guido sign that says: "you toucha da car, i breaka you face"

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

INTMD8

Haha, the year question is constant. Even though my plates say 59 CAD.  Had one guy arguing with me, "I'm pretty sure that's a 58"

I just said ok, it's a 58 then  ;D

Lexi

Scott I have been asked the same thing (whether I am the original owner) and my car is a 1956 model. Surprised, I replied to the guy who asked me that question that I would have to be around a 100 years old if that were so. He did not look surprised, he just walked away. Cripes I didn't think I look that old! Clay/Lexi

Barry M Wheeler #2189

OK, I may have told this story years ago but I'll do it again for Chuck Patton.

I was gassing up my 1941 Series 6719F (One of 95 built) way back when it was (believe it or not) my daily driver. A guy came up and admired it, and while he was walking away said, "Too bad it's not a LaSalle. Then you'd REALLY have something."

I had a twenty five mile ride home to fume and fuss over what he said. 
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillacmike68

Quote from: INTMD8 on July 16, 2018, 05:35:12 PM
Haha, the year question is constant. Even though my plates say 59 CAD.  Had one guy arguing with me, "I'm pretty sure that's a 58"

I just said ok, it's a 58 then  ;D

People ask me if my 1968 is a '59.  And I usually have a few Info sheets on the windshield, that all say 1968 Cadillac!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

People ask me if my '72 Eldo is a Chevrolet.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Awww, thanks for the hand holding folks.

I LOVE driving this car. Not only am I 10 years old again and my parents are alive, but I admit to loving the honks, thumbs up and smiles from those around me when they see The Ark.

Its the parking, that's when its vulnerable. And I have noticed additional scratches/marks on it from the few events I've taken it to. I've made a sign "DON'T TOUCH ME, I'M NOT THAT KIND OF CAR ...but my owner is..." I know every inch of the outside of that car like my own body, and it breaks my heart to see marks/scratches on it from events, people should know better.

Imagine how I'm going to feel when it gets painted....   :(

Its going in the shop this week for front brakes. Scott uses pads on the fenders. I'm bringing new clean moving blankets to cover the car with...

Do they make heavy duty repair shop pajamas a car can be cloaked in when in for service? And I know Scott is careful but I can't control the urchins who walk in and out of his bays.

I never anticipated 'this' fear with the car.

And I do upload from 9mm to .45 when with The Ark. Jump into my car and you'll be staring at a 230gr flying ashtray.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on July 17, 2018, 01:53:52 AM
Awww, thanks for the hand holding folks.

I LOVE driving this car. Not only am I 10 years old again and my parents are alive, but I admit to loving the honks, thumbs up and smiles from those around me when they see The Ark.

Its the parking, that's when its vulnerable. And I have noticed additional scratches/marks on it from the few events I've taken it to. I've made a sign "DON'T TOUCH ME, I'M NOT THAT KIND OF CAR ...but my owner is..." I know every inch of the outside of that car like my own body, and it breaks my heart to see marks/scratches on it from events, people should know better.

Imagine how I'm going to feel when it gets painted....   :(

Its going in the shop this week for front brakes. Scott uses pads on the fenders. I'm bringing new clean moving blankets to cover the car with...

Do they make heavy duty repair shop pajamas a car can be cloaked in when in for service? And I know Scott is careful but I can't control the urchins who walk in and out of his bays.

I never anticipated 'this' fear with the car.

And I do upload from 9mm to .45 when with The Ark. Jump into my car and you'll be staring at a 230gr flying ashtray.

\m/
Laurie

Laurie,

Moving company quilted padded blanket pads come to mind.

FMJ, HP or SP?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 17, 2018, 03:57:05 PM
Moving company quilted padded blanket pads come to mind.
I got a couple from Harbor Freight for like $5 a few years ago. At that price I don't mind getting it dirty.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

slowpoke17

I once was like you Laurie, I had a 50th anniversary edition Corvette convertible. Pampered like no other car with all the stress that came with it. Paranoid to take it to any parking lot, driving to work was a nightmare every time I saw some kid texting next to me, you get the hint. One day on my way to work an 80 year old didn't see the bright red light and because of the lack of visibility for oncoming traffic I never saw her until she t-boned my car. It was 12 years old, pristine condition, only 10,000 miles on it heading toward the bone yard. So much for being pampered. I learned a lesson, stuff happens. Today new Corvette, yes some pampering but I just plain enjoy the ride with no worries. I was lucky to come out without a scratch and guess what there was another car with my name on it. I found out the hard way its not enjoyable when the car owns you.
John Federico

James Landi

As my "old man" used to say, "Don't be a slave to your possessions."   Alas, I can't seem to break from my personal mania about protecting this XLR I own (or does it own me).

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 17, 2018, 04:09:53 PM
I got a couple from Harbor Freight for like $5 a few years ago. At that price I don't mind getting it dirty.
Jeff

That's what I have Jeff, going to HF tomorrow for a few more. Hey, its a write off too on my business. Hope there's no IRS reading this, LOL!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: slowpoke17 on July 17, 2018, 05:23:34 PM
I once was like you Laurie, I had a 50th anniversary edition Corvette convertible. Pampered like no other car with all the stress that came with it. Paranoid to take it to any parking lot, driving to work was a nightmare every time I saw some kid texting next to me, you get the hint. One day on my way to work an 80 year old didn't see the bright red light and because of the lack of visibility for oncoming traffic I never saw her until she t-boned my car. It was 12 years old, pristine condition, only 10,000 miles on it heading toward the bone yard. So much for being pampered. I learned a lesson, stuff happens. Today new Corvette, yes some pampering but I just plain enjoy the ride with no worries. I was lucky to come out without a scratch and guess what there was another car with my name on it. I found out the hard way its not enjoyable when the car owns you.

Thank you John, glad you're OK too!
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

John Federico and James Landi are both dead on. Tough to beat the anxiety cycle for some personality types though. Nothing is given without a disadvantage. So enjoy the 'anxiety' laden path you are on, Laurie. Things could always be worse. Clay \m/

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: lexi on July 17, 2018, 07:15:58 PM
John Federico and James Landi are both dead on. Tough to beat the anxiety cycle for some personality types though. Nothing is given without a disadvantage. So enjoy the 'anxiety' laden path you are on, Laurie. Things could always be worse. Clay \m/

Truer words never spoken Clay, I am *BLESSED* to have this 'worry'....

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville