News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power steering sticking - 1952 cad fleetood

Started by papas52cad, July 16, 2018, 03:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papas52cad

Ok
I’ll look for the type A...is dextron ATF = to type A
Perhaps there is a ps conditioner still available..can’t hurt looking...
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

J. Gomez

Quote from: papas52cad on July 20, 2018, 08:13:18 AM
Ok
I’ll look for the type A...is dextron ATF = to type A
Perhaps there is a ps conditioner still available..can’t hurt looking...
Peter

Peter,

Please see my previous reply below about Type A ATF  ;)

Quote from: J. Gomez on July 18, 2018, 08:01:30 PM
Peter,

The recommended P/S fluid is ATF, Type A was the GM recommendation for the P/S although in today’s time Type A is not available at your local auto part (maybe available from specialize shops e.g. hydraulic or independent oil companies) the equivalent would be Dexron III or VI.

J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Wonder if the new fluid loosened something up in the pressure relief valve?? Maybe another drive mite help it.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

papas52cad

Thank you again
I’ll get dextron III, and do a double flush after driving a few days with ATF.
Hopefully this will help improve ps even more.
Thanks guys.
Peter
Enjoy photos
The silver one is mine
1952 Fleetwood

papas52cad

I returned home today, another 180 miles, the first 50-60 the steering stuck about 8 times, not for long but notable.then the rest of the was there were only 3 events, for a while I forgot I had the issue. The sticky or blocked valve seems like a good possibility.
It certainly is random. Overall car drove the way a caddy should. I also used higher 93 octane gas ( unfortunately w/ethanol) but I got a notable improvement in gas mileage, between 14-15.
I will make the switch to dextron lll ATF this week. I’ll come back with a update after another shorter trip to  a local CLC chapter outing.
1952 Fleetwood

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Do you notice the PS fluid 'foaming' when its hot?
I had to flush my system numerous times before the fluid ran red instead of black,
using GM D6, I used almost a gallon flushing, it had never been done. Now The Ark steers like butter.

My flushing was simple, filled the PS pump with fluid, start car, put in gear, foot on brake, turn wheel fully left and right 4 times, shut off. With my car just removing the low pressure line was the easiest, let it drain out, reconnect, re-fill, repeat until the fluid running out was red.
Too much fluid or old fluid will result in foaming and sticky steering.

But what do I know, I'm a chick who's never been to the GN.  :P

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

papas52cad

Thx Laurie
I have not seen any foaming..but I think I will still do the flush. What is GM D6.
I want to buy something that is similar to the Type A ATF, that was used way back, still looking, if you have a brand name and suggested store, that would help. Although mine is a bit older I.e. 1952.
Good to hear you solved your sticking issue.
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

If flushing I just used a turkey baster to suck fluid out of the reservoir, fill and repeat a few times. A little easier and less messy than removing a hose. The older ones have that nice big reservoir so you get a lot of flush each time.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

papas52cad

1952 Fleetwood

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: papas52cad on July 23, 2018, 07:21:42 AM
Thx Laurie
I have not seen any foaming..but I think I will still do the flush. What is GM D6.
I want to buy something that is similar to the Type A ATF, that was used way back, still looking, if you have a brand name and suggested store, that would help. Although mine is a bit older I.e. 1952.
Good to hear you solved your sticking issue.
Peter

Hi Peter,
General Motors/AC Delco Dexron 6, tranny fluid. Supposedly is backwards compatible with all previous GM tranny fluids. Any GM dealer has it, Summit Racing, etc. Again, your car is a lot older than mine. I'd yield to the folks here with the older cars and their advice. Using a turkey baster works, its just slow (for me). It was so much faster to simply remove the hose on my PS pump, on a '70.
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

papas52cad

TY
I went with NAPA’s dex/merc, which is a dextron 3 formula
Made 1st change, let car run, did the bleed...stayed clear red same as from fresh bottle..I think I will drive a bit, then do another flush.
The old is a mix of the clear PS fluid I put in and likely an earlier( not sure how old) ATF since it is reddish..
We shall see if this results in an improvement
Perhaps my mixing the PS fluid a few months back with older ATF started the problem..
Stay tuned
1952 Fleetwood

papas52cad

And I did check the temp of fluid after my car got up to temp,  fluid was luke warm... not hot as was suggested if pump was bad etc...
Good news I assume
1952 Fleetwood

Jon S

Good luck. The PS fluid doesn't take a beating. I changed mine 10 years ago for the first time and it was still clear. Now have the red dexron in there. The turkey Bastet works fine as does a suction gun.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

papas52cad

Thank you Jon
I will update further info as it happens
1952 Fleetwood

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: papas52cad on July 23, 2018, 04:59:54 PM
Made 1st change, let car run, did the bleed...

OK now I have a question:
Doesn't the car need to be in gear and the steering wheel turning left and right to get the fluid freely flowing through the pump and system?
Or are 52's different than 70's?

\m/
Laurie?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

papas52cad

I have only done it with car in park...perhaps someone can chime in with more insight
Thx
1952 Fleetwood

Roger Zimmermann

No need to put the transmission in drive. Both systems are independent from each other.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Jon S on July 23, 2018, 06:28:24 PM
The turkey Bastet works fine as does a suction gun.
Yes, but Uncle Jeff is cheap!!
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

G Pennington

1952 was the first year for power steering.  The '52 pumps were problematic from the factory and the pump was redesigned for 1953.  I would recommend acquiring a 1953 pump, have it rebuilt by a competent rebuilder, and swapping it for your '52 pump.  I THINK they are interchangeable, but would have to do more research to be sure.
If the problem persists, you'll know it's in the steering gear.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

V63

Do the 52 pumps have a screen at the bottom of the reservoir? Might verify it’s clear?

Often rubber lines can ‘swell’ internally and restrict flow.