News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Man Trapped Inside XLR for 14 hours.

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, September 14, 2018, 11:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: V63 on September 19, 2018, 09:22:17 AM
👆 are you sure this is written correctly?

The spirit of  ‘AS-IS’ is NO warrantee.

I think you need to reread the post.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

QUOTE:

Customers continuously ask me why a car on the lot is "AS IS" when I make a point of putting a huge black checkmark in the "WARRANTY" box of the FTC Buyer guide.

Quote from: V63 on September 19, 2018, 09:33:49 AM
QUOTE:

Customers continuously ask me why a car on the lot is "AS IS" when I make a point of putting a huge black checkmark in the "WARRANTY" box of the FTC Buyer guide.

When the "WARRANTY" box is checked and the "AS IS" box is not checked - explain how a logical person would conclude the car is being offered as-is based on the window sticker?

INTMD8

Quote from: V63 on September 19, 2018, 09:22:17 AM
The emergency release is finished in a matching interior color...and If it were a fluorescent red it might cause pause at some point of casual entry making recall more probable within 14 hours of incarceration.

Maybe, but it's not exactly in plain sight from the drivers point of view unless you know where to look for it.

I just don't understand what the upside is supposed to be with the electric button release? Couldn't be cost savings if the manual handles/cables still exist.

I like Eric's idea a lot-

"As to the situation here, I think it would be a good idea if message appeared on the dash alerting the driver to the emergency release if exit is attempted while the battery is in a low charge state. Even a low battery should have enough power to illuminate a message board."

V63

I do see your point now.  I modified the excerpt as follows👇

👇

You'd be surprised how clueless certain members the general public can be. Customers continuously assume a car on the lot is "AS IS" when I make a point of putting a huge black checkmark in the "WARRANTY" box of the FTC Buyer's Guide window sticker with the AS IS box left blank. I even tried red ink & day glow colors with the same results. Finally I began crossing out the entire AS IS section, with the WARRANTY box checked - and even then, some people will still assume the car is being sold as-is. ::)

👆

I guess the general public is conditioning that  a used car is best assumed to NOT have a warrantee.

Probably not a bad thing vs. the alternative.

Scot Minesinger

V63 and Eric,

I don't really get this "As-is" message either except to point out that much of the public is clueless on this subject of the original post.  I agree the general public is clueless - point made, few would dispute this.  And, as I get up there in years my patience for this has waned. 

Anyway, our local CLC club discussed this subject too, and everyone pretty much agreed the 75 year old is at fault, and some were harsh about expressing their opinion.  I'm sure that this is not the first time this has happened (2006 XLR) in a dozen years of a mass produced car made over a span of several years where battery life is generally 5 to 6 years and all of the batteries have died and been replaced in every XLR made to date.  Yet we did not read about every "tragedy", as each owner suffered thru the inconvenience of discovering a dead battery.   Most probably pulled the lever after their battery died, exited the car, called triple A, lost five minutes, and did not think much about it.

Sorry, my sympathy is zero on this one, except for perhaps the recipient of any bogus lawsuit the 75 year may file against them.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Quote from: V63 on September 19, 2018, 09:59:10 AM
I do see your point now.  I modified the excerpt as follows👇

👇

You'd be surprised how clueless certain members the general public can be. Customers continuously assume a car on the lot is "AS IS" when I make a point of putting a huge black checkmark in the "WARRANTY" box of the FTC Buyer's Guide window sticker with the AS IS box left blank. I even tried red ink & day glow colors with the same results. Finally I began crossing out the entire AS IS section, with the WARRANTY box checked - and even then, some people will still assume the car is being sold as-is. ::)

👆

I guess the general public is conditioning that  a used car is best assumed to NOT have a warrantee.

Probably not a bad thing vs. the alternative.

Change it back.

The issue is not that they "assume" the car is being sold as-is. It's that they will ask why the car is being offered as-is - when I approach them after they've just read the window sticker clearly indicating the opposite.

And some still continue to ask this even when the AS IS section is crossed out entirely with a big checkmark in the warranty box.

WTL

Quote from: INTMD8 on September 19, 2018, 09:49:03 AM

"As to the situation here, I think it would be a good idea if message appeared on the dash alerting the driver to the emergency release if exit is attempted while the battery is in a low charge state. Even a low battery should have enough power to illuminate a message board."

I tend to think this would help a lot, but I've seen, in conditions where a battery terminal is pretty loose, if you try to start the car for whatever reason the high amperage causes the connection to totally go away....So you try and start it, hear maybe a tap, and then all the lights go out and nothing works. 

So, the hypothetical single digit IQ guy still gets stuck in the car for 14 hours.

And then there are car accidents, and the various issues that could arise out of one. 

cadillacmike68

My STS would get stuck on stupid and refuse to start sometimes, but it never tried to lock me in.

If you buy a car, you should get to know how all of it operates.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike