News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Getting a Clean Cut on a Rope Seal

Started by mummyjohn, October 08, 2018, 11:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mummyjohn

The Fel-Pro full gasket/seal set for 472/500 motors has rope seals for the crankshaft rear main seal.

I used a large-size socket to pound the thing in, and when I was finally ready to cut off the excess rope I used a brand new single-use razor blade.  It was about as difficult to cut through this rope as it is to cut through glass with a stick of butter.  I couldn't believe it.  After a while I tried my X-Acto knives instead, which was only a tiny bit more effective.

Still, it was an absolute chore to cut these things, and the result is obnoxiously frayed and messy, not at all like the "clean, flush cut" I keep hearing on every 'how to install rope seals' page.

So I'm asking you guys...what's your advice on installing rope seals, particularly the cutting step?  Is the tool simply not sharp enough (it's the sharpest damn thing I own!)?  Is this an easy job to botch and is it worth using a neoprene split seal instead?  Help me outta the woods gents...
- E. Ringman

1971 Eldorado coupe

fishnjim

One of those look before you leap kind of things.   They should have instructions in the gasket set or contact the seller or manufacturer or in the Cad shop manual.   There's online resources, if you search.   It's a bit of an art/lost art but not that difficult.   It's still common in industry for gland seals.  Generally, packing is cut/trimmed to size before installation.   It should be pushed in smoothly/squarely not hammered in. 
There's a special cutting tool for packing.   But a standard pair of guillotine cutters, with a sharp blade like Sears handi-cut should work.   A clean cut is needed so it compresses properly.   If multiple wraps, like a gland, ring cuts are clocked so the splices don't line up. 
Face seals didn't come until around til the late 50s.   If the surfaces are machined them it's probable to change.   But better to have the machinists fit during rebuild.

Caddy Wizard

The only way to cut the rope seal to ensure a drip-free cut...is to cut the damned thing in half and install a neoprene seal instead!  Every time that I have used a rope seal, being as careful as possible, the darned thing still leaked a little after a short time in service.  By contrast, when I use a neoprene seal, I get a drip-free installation every time...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

The Tassie Devil(le)

I find that the only way to cut the excess from a rope seal in to use a very sharp blade, as in those break-away bladed knives, and if there is any "roughage" poking up, carefully manipulate this into a point, so that when the two halves are put together, they compress themselves as they go together.

Before the days of these "box cutters", I simply used a sharp knife and in a sawing action, cut in towards the mandrel I was using to set the seal into place.

Yes, you have to roll the seals in, and the mandrel is helpful, but a large socket or pipe will work just as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

squirrel

I recently did a sort of overhaul on a 346 flathead...and I decided I'd never be able to get the seal cut right, so I just left the old seal in place, and re used it. The engine does not leak any oil I think I made the right decision.

gary griffin

I use a "Sneaky Pete" to pull the seals through the groove. I think they are still available on eBay for less than $10.  Small cable with a handle on one end and a clamp on the other end. Push the clamp through the channel and clamp on the rope seal and push one end while gently pull the handle.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, but you still have to cut the end, or both ends once you have pulled it into place.

Plus, with these "Sneaky Pete" installations, how does one compress the internal parts of the seal, after it is stretched whilst installing?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon