News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversions

Started by G Pennington, October 04, 2018, 07:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Pennington

I have been having so much trouble getting stock drum brakes to work properly on my 1941 series 62 that I am considering converting to disc brakes.  I found a supplier ( https://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/41-68-Cadillac-Disc-Brake-Conversions_c3.htm ) who supplies a kit for my car.  Kit supposedly will allow me to use my stock wheels.  It also includes a power-boosted dual circuit master cylinder that he claims will mount in place of my original.  Have to be a little skeptical because the original MC is mounted to the frame and it's a pretty tight fit.  Don't see how a  dual circuit master cylinder and booster could fit in the same space.
Was wondering if anyone has had experience with these guys.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Caddyrag67

go with wilwood. i run them on all my caddys and with stock wheels
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1952 Series 62  Convertible
1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille
1967 Coupe Deville Convertible

G Pennington

I remember Wilwood from my racing days.  Checked there website, and sure enough, they offer a front disc kit for my '41 but no rear kit.  May just go front only, esp since the rear drums are such a PITA to get off.
CLC member Art Gardner sells (used to sell?) a dual master cylinder kit that used a Wilwood master cylinder.  Have you used this setup with the Wilwood FDB kit?
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

carlhungness

Try www.discbrakemike.com/ before you spend a lot to make the conversion, a second opinion from another supplier is worth your time.