News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 ignition switch

Started by 60eldo, October 07, 2018, 10:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I bought a 59 fleetwood and the ignition swicth is missing, plug is there. Is there any way of crossing wires to get it to the on position so I can check to see if lites pw are working.
Jon. Kluczynski

J. Gomez

Quote from: 60eldo on October 07, 2018, 10:21:36 PM
   I bought a 59 fleetwood and the ignition swicth is missing, plug is there. Is there any way of crossing wires to get it to the on position so I can check to see if lites pw are working.

Johnny,

Just to do an “ACC” check you can place a jumper at the ignition switch between the “red” (+12V) and “yellow” wires for ACC position. Although the "ACC" just provides the +12V to the accessories radio, antenna, fans, etc. the lights e.g. headlights, interior lights, brake, etc. are all direct feed to the main +12V.

The “pink” is for the “IGN” position and the “violet/purple” is for the “SOL” position, you need to leave the +12V at the “pink” wire and tap the “SOL” as well if you need to start/crank the engine.

Also, you can do a Google search and find the wiring diagram for reference if you still do not have a Service Manual handy, although the Service Manual is a must.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Further to Jose's post, attached are 2 images of the 1959 Cadillac wiring diagram from the '59 shop manual. It would not scan well as it is spread over 2 pages so I took one overall photo plus one close up of the page that shows the ignition switch wiring and connections. Hope this helps. Clay/Lexi

Skwerly62

Johnny K I have an extra if you need one. No bezels etc though.

Chris
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Daddio

Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

60eldo

No I dont need a switch, I bought a 59 fleetwood and somone hit the switch with a screw driver and hammer, i wanted to check all electrical. But I got it now to turn on with my screw driver haha thanks all, I want to part this thing out later and wanted to no what works
Jon. Kluczynski