News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Small conical-coil spring under knob late 70's early 80's Delco Stereo

Started by 79 Eldorado, November 02, 2018, 01:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

79 Eldorado

One more question. I've seen these before but I don't recall which knob it fell from and the order of assembly.

When I was taking the knobs off on the 1979 Eldorado I thought something fell but I didn't see what it was. As I was working under the dash I saw the spring and immediately realized it was under one of the knobs. I think I was removing the left knob when it fell but because I never saw anything I didn't really note which side or at what stage of the removal it fell.

Funny too because the left knob does have a press function but it also works without the spring there.

Thank you,
Scott

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The spring helps prevent the inner knob from changing positions when the outer knob is turned. They're usually installed on the radio control shafts on either side.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

79 Eldorado

Eric,
Thanks for the explanation it's good to know the reasoning behind them. I only had one but I can tell the dash has been removed before. I guess I'll just put it on the driver side shaft and keep my eyes open for one for the passenger side.

While I was working on the Eldorado I had spares of almost all of the fasteners from years of working on my '79 Toronado but no extra springs. The knobs are easy enough to remove if I come across a spring in the future.

Thanks again,
Scott

79 Eldorado

79 Eldorado

In case anyone wants to see a photo I took a couple with dimensions and a 7mm screw for reference.

Wire diameter was ~0.63mm