News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978-79 Cdv - what should I check before buying ?

Started by Huba, November 11, 2018, 02:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

Well one of them is a guy from Texas with initials MG. Are we sure it had 18,000 miles.??   :D

A 800 mile car is in a league by itself. That is hard to find.

The others are years ago. It seems lately the prices in these cars has gone sideways or down.

As for the one I just posted I did because it seemed to go much higher than I have seen recently and that was my point. Are prices going up?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Those brushed chrome (maybe plastic) that run on each side from front of hood all the way to back of rear quarter are amazing.  I have seen them in person and they really dress up that car.  If I bought a 77-79 RWD Cadillac I would be finding a nice set and adding it to mine if it did not come as original equipment.  In my travels have only seen two of them both coupes - was it available on a sedan?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

STS05lg

Scot,

Those brushed chrome metal spears (they were not plastic) on both sides of the power dome on the hood and running along the top of the door were from American Sunroof Corp. They were slightly modified versions of the spears that were on the 1977-1978 Eldorado Biarritz package that ASC installed on Eldorados. However, the ones in the car for sale most likely were dealer installed. They were a popular dealer add on item, kind of like 24" wheels and Vogue tires are today. I remember seeing a number of tri-seven Coupes on the showroom floor with the add on at Swell Cadillac in Dallas. You know Texans we like our Cadillacs to stand out in crowd. I never seen them added to a tri-sevens Sedan deVille. Most likely because of seams between the doors and they were derived from the spears on the Eldorado Biarritz. Not to say there is not one out there somewhere.

Lynn

jagbuxx #12944

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on November 12, 2018, 09:05:14 PM
Those brushed chrome (maybe plastic) that run on each side from front of hood all the way to back of rear quarter are amazing.  I have seen them in person and they really dress up that car.  If I bought a 77-79 RWD Cadillac I would be finding a nice set and adding it to mine if it did not come as original equipment.  In my travels have only seen two of them both coupes - was it available on a sedan?
They were available on Sedans as well. They were a brushed metal. Option code AR for 1979..
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Accent trim option. Available in 1978 & 1979 on DeVille & Brougham.

When ordered from the factory there would be two changes:

1. Pinstripe would be deleted from rear filler panels.

2. Body side molding has vinyl insert which color coordinated to the vinyl roof (on DeVilles). The same style body side molding was standard on DeVille d'Elegance, Brougham and Limousine, eventually becoming standard on base DeVilles in 1980. (On Broughams, Limousines and 1980 DeVilles, the vinyl insert was matched to the lower body color rather than the vinyl roof)

I have never encountered any car in the wild equipped with Accent trim did not have these two features. If the trim were dealer installed, the pinstripe would need to be removed (if equipped) and in the case of base DeVilles, the body side moldings would also have to be changed from regular all-stainless type to color keyed type in order to be correct.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Back in the day in 1979 if buying new, I would start with the accent trips, vinyl top delete, and the performance rear axle.  Then of course leather, tilt, twilight, trunk release, cruise, and etc. (no wire wheels, no sun roof). 

Then 5 years later order 10 dealer sets of rear body fillers to join fender to bumper - any left over could be sold today.  The replacements were perfect fit and way better quality than original - I saw a car with 30 year old replacements from dealer - perfect still today.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty