News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Which front disc for my fleetwood 1980 368ci

Started by Chantecoq, December 29, 2018, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chantecoq

Hi,

i would like to overhaul my front brakes (disc, caliper, hose, pads...).
How to know which set to order ? (From rockauto)
It seems that it depends from the size of the rear brake drums. 11 or 12 !
How to know which diameter is my rear drum (car away from me !)
Thanks for your help
Antoine P. Chantecoq

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Those specs should be in your shop manual.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Chantecoq

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 30, 2018, 01:39:34 AM
Those specs should be in your shop manual.

\m/
Laurie

Thank you Laurie
Shop manual, is it the service information book ?

Thanks.
Antoine P. Chantecoq

TJ Hopland

Factory service manual like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Cadillac-Service-Information-Manual-S-1728-Repair-OEM-Original/222513833432?epid=885131753&hash=item33cedba5d8:g:M3YAAOSwaeRZG4R0:rk:2:pf:0

I would guess they only reason they may  be giving you options is in 80 the Fleetwood name apparently covered 3 different models.   F23 4 door sedan, F33 4 door formal limo, and Z90 commercial chassis.   I could see the limo and cc having different brakes.   If you can't verify it maybe look up the Deville and go with what ever one is listed for the deville?

THe manual would usually say that the sedan used the 9" or whatever and the limos used the 10'.   That info was usually in the beginning of each section in the first few paragraphs that give an overall outline and description of the system.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chantecoq

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 30, 2018, 12:38:43 PM
Factory service manual like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Cadillac-Service-Information-Manual-S-1728-Repair-OEM-Original/222513833432?epid=885131753&hash=item33cedba5d8:g:M3YAAOSwaeRZG4R0:rk:2:pf:0

I would guess they only reason they may  be giving you options is in 80 the Fleetwood name apparently covered 3 different models.   F23 4 door sedan, F33 4 door formal limo, and Z90 commercial chassis.   I could see the limo and cc having different brakes.   If you can't verify it maybe look up the Deville and go with what ever one is listed for the deville?

THe manual would usually say that the sedan used the 9" or whatever and the limos used the 10'.   That info was usually in the beginning of each section in the first few paragraphs that give an overall outline and description of the system.

Thank you TJ. I do have this book (but not with me).
I ll have a look when I am back in Paris.
Your explanation sounds very smart !  I have a sedan.
Thanks.
Antoine P. Chantecoq

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Brake hardware should be the same for a 1980 DeVille as for Fleetwood Brougham.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

I just happened to run across my 80 manual while looking for something else and there isn't much in the brake section talking about different models.  Only places they talk about models seems to be related to proportioning valves and setting pedal height. 

Sounds like the car is in Paris?  If you can't get someone to measure and verify what is on the car it may be safest to wait till that can be done.   Shipping the wrong or not needed parts to Paris could get expensive.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Is this the car that was originally a diesel? Not certain if the brake parts were different on diesel.

Chantecoq

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 30, 2018, 01:41:50 PM
Is this the car that was originally a diesel? Not certain if the brake parts were different on diesel.

Eric, no, the car was not originally diesel, but you are right, my car has gone through a swap.
Originally, it was a 6.0l. As mentioned by forum members and probably you, my engine is an olds.
Precisely a 307 ci (5A), I was able to check the numbers only last weekend.

Thanks.

Antoine P. Chantecoq

Quote from: Chantecoq on December 30, 2018, 02:00:22 PM
Eric, no, the car was not originally diesel, but you are right, my car has gone through a swap.
Originally, it was a 6.0l. As mentioned by forum members and probably you, my engine is an olds.
Precisely a 307 ci (5A), I was able to check the numbers only last weekend.

Thanks.

Oh that's right. It's been a while since we discussed it.

V63

Trailer tow package? Not sure if offered in 80?