News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 390 Dampner

Started by 60eldo, February 10, 2019, 12:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I was trying to set the timing on my car but it seems the dampner is way off the pointer. Is it possiable for the dampner to slip, move?
Jon. Kluczynski

Roger Zimmermann

If the damper was once saturated with oil, the rubber element may be degraded and the outer part may have turned.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

60eldo

Also the center bolt broke, but I think Im ok there cause theres other small bolts holding it on right?
Jon. Kluczynski

Caddyholic

Two things that I know of. 1 the dampner is two piece with rubber in between the rubber can seperate and cause this. 2 on mine the rebuilder of the PO used the wrong crank sprocket it was for a 331 and older cadillacs. It was  1/8 narrower not letting the dampner bottom out against the crank.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Caddyholic

NO the small bolts hold the pulley to the Dampner.  The big bolt holds the dampner to the crank. If the big bolt is broke that is you that is your problem.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1962 Coupe Deville

Roger Zimmermann

The outer ring of the damper is installed on the rubber, without any mechanical element like screw and so on. As I wrote first, this ring can turn on the rubber for various reasons. The hub itself has a fixed position on the crankshaft with a key.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

60eldo

So let me get this straight, my big bolt broke off, does that go into the crank and that bolt is holding on my damper? Is the damper pressed on also? Am I in trouble.
Jon. Kluczynski

Caddyholic

Yes it goes into the crank. And the dampener my be stuck in the crank but will eventually come off. Do not drive it until the bolt is replaced.

1962 Coupe Deville

TJ Hopland

He is talking about a 1960 390 right?   The 1969 was a typo?  Or are we talking about a 69 472?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

60eldo

Jon. Kluczynski

Daryl Chesterman

This is a picture of what is behind the crankshaft pulley.  It shows the harmonic balancer with the large retaining bolt removed, and you can also see the keyway in the harmonic balancer.

Daryl Chesterman