News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 DeVille lower ball joint boot question.

Started by Haifisch223, February 17, 2019, 11:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haifisch223

Hello,

I’m installing new ball joints on my 1970 Cadillac DeVille. On the lower ball joint, does the rubber boot just sit on top of the control arm once the ball joint is pressed in from the bottom or does the rubber dust boot get pressed in with the ball joint from the bottom?

Thanks

Scot Minesinger

Install the ball joint onto the arm first, then install the rubber boot.  The rubber boot is to keep dirt from getting into the ball joint greased section.  Here are some pictures of restored 1970 Cadillac suspension parts before reinstall.  Powder coated when possible.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Thanks Mike, this is for my 1970 SDV with now 39k miles.  It has original paint and perfect vinyl top, which I will keep.  The mechanicals and under carriage I have made as new.  With low cost teenage labor entire underside of car was scraped, cleaned and repainted.  Every bracket and mechanical part underneath was removed, media blasted and powder coated.  Gas tank was dropped, sender replaced, straps refinished.  Rear differential fluid changed - everything done.  The underside looks brand new and should remain that way due to nice weather driving only and powder coat being much more durable than factory spray.  Every piece of rubber including body to frame mounts have been replaced and the timing chain.  Climate control works nice too.  Should cross into the 40k miles this season.

My 1970 DVC has dual exhaust and performance intake (stock machined internals - cannot tell) and it sounds and is more powerful than the 100% stock 1970 DVC with single exhaust.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Haifisch223