News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 429 Sticky valves

Started by clarkent5477, March 31, 2018, 01:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarkent5477

Hello,

I've got a 1967 429 in my 66 Fleetwood that's got sticky valves. So much so that the rocker arm supports have all busted. I expect this is from running it after it hadn't been run for a very long time. I also suspect that the lack of the valve returning quick enough and the resulting misalignment in the valvetrain cause enough slop to cause the supports to break. Any recommendations on how to free the valves up? Or is it just best to rip the heads off and give it a valve job?

Many many thanks in advance!

Clark
Clark Dilley
Los Angeles, CA
'66 Fleetwood Brougham, '66 Fleetwood Eldorado

Julien Abrahams

In my view, if that muvh damage has already been done, then it also a possibility thsf the valves have hit the pistons, causing more damage. I would completely disassemble the engine just to see how bad things are. Worst casescenariomyou need to rebuild the engine.
Good luck
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

35-709

Agreed.  Firing up an engine that has long been idle requires great care and preparation.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

Agree with Julian and Geoff, dissemble and inspect - probably at a minimum valve job and timing chain are required.  Then you get into all the might as wells; reseal trans, new rear main seal, wiring, detail engine bay and etc.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

clarkent5477

Thanks everyone. Yeah the guy I got it from pulled it out of a barn. Evidently the thing hadn't been registered (and I assume run) since the early 90s. Had I known it hadn't been run that long I would've stopped him.
Clark Dilley
Los Angeles, CA

clarkent5477

Since a rebuild is in order, do you all have recommendations on rebuild kits? Which do you prefer? A buddy of mine mentioned getting Stellite seats to make it easier to run with unleaded fuel. Any recommendations greatly appreciated!
Clark Dilley
Los Angeles, CA

clarkent5477

Just an update.. So I replaced the rocker supports and lubed and tapped the valves and started it. It clunked a little at first, but after it warmed up and got fresh new fuel running through it, it ran like a champ. No rebuild... (yet)  :)
Clark Dilley
Los Angeles, CA

rajeevx7

That clunk was prob a knock. Either way, glad it’s running for you! Aren’t we all just on a timeline towards a full teardown and rebuild anyway >:D

Julien Abrahams

1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

spolij

rajeevx7----------Aren’t we all just on a timeline towards a full tear down and rebuild anyway >:D
So true so true LOL

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

If the valves were gunked up other things probably are too.  Everybody has their snake oil theories. Here is mine-- A little Marvel's does wonders. It may be worth a try. Don't use too much because it may free things up and all that crap ends up in your oil system. Not everyone agrees with this, but I think most will agree it won't hurt anything to try
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

clarkent5477

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I ran some Marvel in gas tank as well as some Rislone in the crank case after I changed the oil. So far so good. Now sorting out transmission stuff. It works in all gears, but the rear seal needs to be replaced. I'll do U-joints as well, since there's vibrations at certain highway speeds (actually gets pretty disturbing if I let it go for too long..like the car is going to shake apart).
Clark Dilley
Los Angeles, CA

clarkent5477

Quote from: rajeevx7 on January 03, 2019, 09:24:14 PM
That clunk was prob a knock. Either way, glad it’s running for you! Aren’t we all just on a timeline towards a full teardown and rebuild anyway >:D

Your Fleetwood 75 is gorgeous!
Clark Dilley
Los Angeles, CA

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: clarkent5477 on February 14, 2019, 09:16:13 PM
I'll do U-joints as well, since there's vibrations at certain highway speeds (actually gets pretty disturbing if I let it go for too long..like the car is going to shake apart).

Clark... your Cadillac may have "constant-velocity joints" at each end of the driveshaft (assuming that yours is not a 75 Series).  What is important is to mark (with a crayon) one of the bolt locations at each end of said shaft... so that after it's properly rebuilt, you can (or they can) re-install the driveshaft in the very same original position at each end, with their respective flanges.   These driveshafts "take a set".. and will be happiest (smoothest) when re-installed in the same, original positions when new (even if you change all the "crosses", which should be done anyway).   

Doing that and all else correctly.. should solve your vibration issues.

Bobby B

Every car I've resurrected, even though is sounded /ran fine once started, wound up needing a rebuild in a short amount of time. Nothing worse than letting an engine sit un-lubricated for any amount of time, especially in the elements. I've never had any luck with any of my "barn finds" or when the seller says "It Ran when put away", or "It started right up when I dumped some gas down the carburetor" statements........
                                                                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH