News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1931 V12 Cadillac Roadster pin striping

Started by nsdeds, February 18, 2016, 09:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsdeds

I am about to pin stripe my Roadster and the pin stripe pattern seems to vary from one reference car to another to the point I am sure of very little. Wish authenticity manual discussed this more (hint, hint).
What I do know:
* Upper belt line on hood starts with two ~1/16" stripes ~1/16" apart based on photo of my hood before new paint, but please confirm. These come to a point at the forward end.
What I am unsure about:
* Upper belt line - at the front of the door, does the upper stripe "split" and two stripes go up the short (1 foot belt line) behind the windshield or is it a single stripe. Assuming two stripes, is the spacing the same as the hood upper belt line spacing?
* Upper belt line - Are these stripes centered on beltline? My photos suggest that the lower stripe might be centered on the belt line?

* Lower belt line - Is there 1 or 2 stripes for the main body sides? Is there 1 or 2 stripes for the rear belt line near the luggage rack?
* Lower belt line - If two stripes on lower belt line, is the line width & spacing the same as the upper belt line?
* Lower belt line - What is the stripe placement vertically on this wider belt line?
* Lower belt line - I assume that the pattern starting from the rear extend all the way to the radiator shell?

* Lower/Upper belt line - At the rear of the body where the lower & upper belt line stripe(s) come together, how do they transition from one to the other?

Thanks
Scott Deno, PA
Scott Deno CLC# 18066

nsdeds

Since no one responded, I will answer my own post to help others in the future.

I finally used a single "fat" 1/16" wide stripe (keep it simple). In part, I did this simpler approach because the reveal is not wide enough for 2 1/16" wide strips together without looking odd (I have seen this done on other cars and it does not look good). One reference hood with original paint had  a double stripe, but the stripes were smaller than 1/16" stripes! These would be difficult to paint.

I used a simple Ivory color.

The outcome was great and everyone I have talked to a shows has agreed it looks excellent.

Happy stripping
Scott Deno CLC# 18066

fishnjim

Glad to hear you're protecting a dying art.   
I'm not a pre-war, but suspect the coach builders may have varied in that era and the owner preferences may have dictated.   This was height of depression, so money really talked... 
From later period past experience, some striping was added at the point of sale or aftermarket, so may have been one of those. "it depends" answers that you asked for and lack of response.

pmhowe

Sure would like to see some pictures, and a description of how you did it.

Thanks,

Phil

nsdeds

Phil,
       I give restoration seminars at the AACA convention in Philadelphia every February. Pin stripping has been a topic. There is a secret to this-

There are great hand stripping guys around, but there is an easier,cheaper way. Use stripping tape. Many folks will tell you that you get a poor result with tape because the final result has a "sharp or ragged edge". Not true IF you know the secret. Of course, you must use stripping paint which is basically simple, slow drying enamel. The secret - pull the tape off about 1 minute after the paint is applied and BEFORE it begins to cure. YES, fairly quickly; somewhat longer is OK, but don't wait for the paint to significantly cure. Yes, this means you paint about 1 or 2 feet and keep pulling the tape off as you go. Also, trimming the removed tape with scissors to prevent unwanted painting. What happens is that paint will flow-out after the tape is removed making an ever so slightly wider stripe, but the important part is that the edges flow-out and it looks exactly like it was hand stripped. Well, there is one difference, the stripes are almost too perfect.

Attached is a picture of my project at the Hershey Elegance last year.
Scott Deno CLC# 18066

pmhowe

Many thanks.  Your comment about when to remove the tape was especially helpful. I have tried using tape and have usually been disappointed with the results. Now, I will try again.

Your Cadillac is beautiful. I think it is one of the most graceful body styles for that era - and I find that era especially appealing.

I remember when pin striping for hotrods was all the rage. Some of them were really elegant, and elaborate. It is fun to watch the evolution of custom treatments. I lived in New Mexico in the 1990s. At that time, low riders were in style, especially in Espanola, near where I lived. Pin striping was not in style, but pearlescent and aluminum flake paints were. In addition to the fun things low riders could do with their cars, some of their paint jobs were genuinely awesome. The paints were not the normal clear coats, although they did have a bright shine. More importantly, they had a depth to them that was remarkable. I'll bet some cost well in excess of $10k.

Phil

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting, the secret to do nice pin stripping!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101