News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Car Dash Cam

Started by BillR. CLC # 29203, February 26, 2019, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillR. CLC # 29203

Anybody aware of or using a Car Dash Cam that  they would recommend?
Thanks in advance.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

wrench

Depends on budget and features. I was given a Rexing V1P something or other for Christmas. Retails around $130. Has two cameras. It is a very serviceable unit but has limitations.

It took me about an hour to install in the SRX. Piece of cake.

What I learned is that there are more expensive ones that use wifi to talk to your phone so it doesn't have a screen. So my plan is to get used to having a dash cam and then maybe upgrade my daily driver to a more up to date (expensive) set up. And set this one up in one of my other vehicles.

What I learned about the one I have is:

1) there are three loop time settings...10/5/3 minutes I set mine to 5 minutes as I want to capture as much of an event as possible without the loop being too long. Believe me, watching 10 minutes of video to see a 10 second event is very boring no matter what you are playing on the car radio.

2) The size of the SD card. I think the smaller the better as I don't want to have too much of my driving habits/history available to be viewed in case of an event. 'Your Honor, he passed a yellow light 2 weeks before my client turned left in front of him...'

3) after several 'events' I learned that 2 cameras (1 front, 1 rear) even though they are 170 degree wide angle, they don't capture anything on the side. I would want a 4 camera setup as what happens to the side of you is just as important to capture as the front/back.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

BillR. CLC # 29203

Jim,
Thanks for your input.
Bill
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Glen

A while ago I bought a cheap dash cam.  I like to experiment with the cheap ones before I get serious.  The big take away with this one is to get the biggest screen you can find.  The cheap one has a high resolution but a small screen.  If I look at the video on my computer everything looks good, but on the screen important details are missing.  If I had to show a cop the video, he would not be able to see what color the traffic light was when I entered the intersection.  License plates are also unreadable.  I doubt the cop will follow you home to view the video on your computer.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

BillR. CLC # 29203

Glen,
All good points.
Thanks.
Bill
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

rajeevx7

I recommend the Rexing.

1) small screen, but replaying for an officer is not a priority. The recording is mostly for your descretion when supplying to a court/insurance company
2) HUGE memory card in mine as I would NEVER give an authority the entire card. Snip the incident out and supply to your court/insurance. The original card would then get lossed, I’m sure of it.
3) the side views are impossible to capture with only two cameras.
4) the screen stays on all the time which surely limits its lifespan, when direct power wired.

There are too many oddballs on these roads to not film your drives. Nothing sways a person’s judgement more than live video. Mine is direct powered, not switched, in the car it’s in which is important in catching parking lot or garage incidents. No known effects on the battery. It runs on a 1.5amp fuse so the draw has to be minuscule.

BillR. CLC # 29203

Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

BillR. CLC # 29203

I've done some research after reading the input offered by others on this site. Rexing appears the way to go.
I might be looking at the wrong Rexing option but it appears that each gets mounted to the windshield using two sided tape/velcro.
This in my opinion is not an option if you want  to use it in different vehicles.
If anybody knows of a Rexing that works with a suction cup designed for that specific model please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Bill CLC # 29203
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

D.Yaros

I recently installed one, after doing online research.  I went with the SpyTech A119.  The cost was less than $100.  Very easy to install.

Customer service/support is great.  I had a question on programming the camera, so I sent an email.  Email was answered within 24 hrs.

While it has a wide field of vision, the screen is indeed small.  They are on all makes, I believe.  The camera screen is not meant to be watched/observed while driving.  Doing so is foolish, as it takes one's eyes off the road!  Remove the SD card and playback the video on your computer.

Other aspect to investigate is night recording capability.  The better the clarity at night, the more satisfied you will be.

The SpyTec records Date/Time/Long-Lat/ and MPH.

You may check it out here ==> https://www.spytec.com/a119-1440p-car-dash-camera.html?campaignid=280463506&adgroupid=1235851084921402&keyword=spytech%20a119%20dash%20cam&matchtype=e&device=c&network=s&targetid=kwd-77240708303200:loc-190&msclkid=822f914138181f2a2ee0cd71d78f0c96&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SpyTec%20-%20Brand%20Models&utm_term=spytech%20a119%20dash%20cam&utm_content=A119%20Camera

Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

wrench

Quote from: BillR. CLC # 29203 on March 02, 2019, 04:10:25 PM
If anybody knows of a Rexing that works with a suction cup designed for that specific model please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Bill CLC # 29203

The Rexing has a suction cup adapter that can be purchased separately. The double stick mount is detachable from the unit so you could theoretically mount that mount in one vehicle and use the suction cup mount in other vehicles. If you had a two camera system, then you would loose the second channel unless you purchased a second camera an mounted it in another vehicle.

This is a good point as I just went away and drove a rental car for two weeks and felt naked without the dash cam. I need to identify a mobile solution that would work in a rental car as i rent cars enough to be Hertz Gold President's Circle ...

https://www.amazon.com/Rexing-Suction-Cup-Mount-3rd/dp/B01N07VKIK
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

BillR. CLC # 29203

Thanks for all the opinions shared. 
Bill
CLC#29203
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203