News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Newly acquired 56’ Eldorado Biarritz convertible

Started by bigbry13, March 05, 2019, 07:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbry13

Hey all
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here. I just purchased a 1956 Cadillac Eldorado convertible that has been sitting outside for a long time. The car is pretty rough but it still has the motor with dual quad carbs (air cleaner is missing) the top assembly seems to be in good shape, has the eldo Sabre wheels, missing back seat but front seat is there. Overall it’s got some good parts. Rockers and lower quarters are pretty shot. Can panels be bought for the car? I most likely plan on selling it as is for parts or for someone else who’s more courageous but I imagine it’s still worth saving based on the rarity of it.
Bryan
CLC # 34220

James Landi

Oh Bryan--- post pictures--lots of them; tell us where the car is located, and if you have title, and any history regarding the last time it was on the road.  Leaving a classic exposed to the weather may well be the death of it ever seeing the road again.    James

johnregrus

Hello Bryan,

Are you aware that a 56 Biarritz is a very rare car?

There is an online roster of all known cars and to-date there are a total of 184 1956 Biarritz cars listed on the roster.

Please take a photo of the data plate located on the cowl so we can see if your car is a newly discovered car that can be now added to the roster.
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

bigbry13

I am aware! The car is rough but still worth saving IMO.
Bryan
CLC # 34220

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

johnregrus

Well it's a new one that's not currently on the 56 Biarritz survivor roster. A very late build. 2135 out of 2150 Biarritz's built in 1956.

From the factory a black car with black and white leather upholstery and a white roof. Great car I hope it gets restored.
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

johnregrus

Rather than list all the parts that are interchangeable it would be best to list what exterior mouldings are missing or I suggest you post a few phots's and we can all chip in with our suggestions.

I'll start with the saddle mouldings that run along the top edge of the doors and rear quarter windows. Both door saddle mouldings you can find and are the same for 1955 and 1956 Biarritz and Seville cars but the rear quarter saddle mouldings are almost impossible to find.

The rear quarter saddle mouldings are 1956 one year only. Some guys have found a 1955 saddle moulding and modified it. The modification of a 1955 is slight.

Also someone I know altered a 56 Seville rear quarter moulding (which is longer) by cutting off the pointed end. They then cut a section out of it and then grafted the pointed end back on. That takes some skill. Hoping to see photo's. :)
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Lexi

Bryan you should obtain a Cadillac Master Parts List which covers that year. Reprints are available. There is much information there that pertains to interchangeable parts based on parts numbers. Its a good place to start. Clay/Lexi

Edit: The 1961 edition still covers the 1956 model year and I have seen reprints of this for sale on the net. Also, this later edition would presumably have any corrections that may have been necessary since the 1956 printing.

David King (kz78hy)

The Northwest Ohio Region offed a CD of the 1956 master parts list a few years ago.  I can't remember who I bought it from, but maybe they a have a few left or could burn another.

I have found it very useful.  I still use my 1960 paper version the  most.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

bigbry13

So I went back over to the car today and it appears to be much more solid than I initially thought. Still needs full resto but it is not a basket case.

The pics don’t really do it justice because it’s dirty and what not but has all of the side trim in the car or on it still which I thought was missing
Bryan
CLC # 34220

Bobby B

If I were you, and you plan on restoring that car, I would sit down and start putting some realistic numbers together before you dive in. Then take that number and at least double it. Are you really up for something like that? Just trying to help you out. It'll be outstanding when done, but you do realize how much time and money it's going to take to bring that back if that's what your intention is. Since it's a rare Bird, there's only one way to go with that restoration. Good Luck!
        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bryan,
That's fine & I appreciate your honesty. I suggest 3 things.
#1 Gather as many missing parts as you can. If you can, mount them where they belong.
#2 Make it a yard roller.
#3 Obtain a CLEAN title in YOUR name.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.