News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

R&R headlight switch on my 1960 cad

Started by andrew jurkiewicz, March 20, 2019, 11:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew jurkiewicz

I have a faulty headlight switch . what is the easiest way to replace it .? can someone give me step by step instructions ?   thanks

captguido

What I've done in the past is: 1st pull the headlight switch on, as it is all the way out, reach up under the dash and feel around on the switch you will find a little button on the switch, push it down and continue to pull the knob out all the way. It should come completely out. Now unscrew the ferrell on the  on the outside of the switch.at that point the switch should come out the back, unplug harness and replace switch.   Reverse the procedure, when you get to pushing the knob back in the front, you can either push that little button back down or just push the knob back in 'till it locks in.
This is  how I've done most GM switches........ PS I would disconnect the battery , as the headlights will be on when you pull the switch out

andrew jurkiewicz

The problem is that you cant get to the switch under the dash .

35-709

If you are going to be working on your car, the 1959 Cadillac Shop Manual plus the 1960 Supplement are an absolute must!  There are usually several on eBay at any given time.  I believe you have to remove the dash cover/top to access the switch itself, but if I am not remembering correctly someone will chime in.  Dash top removal is in the shop manual.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-1959-Shop-Manual-With-1960-Supplement/163598253317?hash=item2617373d05:g:ujkAAOSwbURci7p1

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

It is certainly much easier, especially on an a/c car, if the dash cover is raised up (prop it up with pieces of 2x4).
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special