News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Used parts

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, March 12, 2019, 11:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I stumbled across a site called Car Part. com. What is nice about the site is that it allows you to ask for specific parts from your car. Like I was needing a part from a front door panel. First I tried "Front door," and got quite a few responses. Then, I happened to scroll down further and found a heading for "interior door panel, with lines for LH front, RH front, etc. These sources were nice to find as if the yard posted soft parts like this, it would be more likely to "save" the car if space allowed than a high volume yard that gets a car in, keeps it for a month (or less) and then crushes it.

Out of three requests that I have sent, this morning I got a phone call from a yard in Iowa that had what I need except it will have to be dyed. I'm awaiting a picture to confirm the condition of a part that I've been looking for a year.

I had a positive response for the '81 Seville that had to wait until the snow melts as the car is in their "classic" section. But I'm hoping the car will have a non-droopy LH sunvisor, a couple of courtesy lamp lenses and possibly a decent front floor mat.

If you try searching there is an app that lets you check all the years that might have the part you need. Like I can check 1986-1991 and 1980-1985 on my Sevilles. Some dealers have live chat, but I've found that you can say more by making an email "request" rather than even calling by phone. Be as specific as you can, as my source sent a picture of only the pull-to, not that part I needed. Remember, these guys answer the phone all day to people who may or may not know "what they're talking about. They can't remember everything.

Be patient and pleasant. They are set up for the guy who needs an alternator for a 1993 Chevy, not a 1971 Eldorado with a black and white checked interior that you need a perfect seat for. Also, don't give them a long shopping list that you may or may not need all of it "right now." Time is $$$ to these guys and they are doing you a favor. Keep letting them know that you appreciate their "looking."

Also, you may get some outrageous price quotes. After all, we are the rich guys who restore cars, right? If it's "too much," simply thank them and that you'll get back to them, as you have "one more place" that was looking for you. And, if you've been looking a while, you might grit your teeth and take it anyway.

In any case, this site is well set up and might help you find the"whoosit" that you need. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

slowpoke17

Here's a link to their website if anyone's interested:

http://www.car-part.com/
John Federico