News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

346 flathead front main seal

Started by pauldridge, December 08, 2012, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauldridge

I'm in the final stages of completing overhaul of my spare 346 engine.  I opened my gasket set, expecting to see a front seal with a rubber or neoprene lip as on most cars, even older ones, but after closer inspection of my timing chain cover, it appears that the complete front seal consists of a cork "donut" that fits inside a spring-loaded metal carrier.  I do have the donut in my gasket kit, just wanted to make sure that this is all there is?

And then, do I just glue this cork seal into the metal carrier, or is it held there automatically by the spring tension once the cover goes on?

Appreciate any experienced comments

Phil Auldridge  austin
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

harry s

Phil, That's all there is. The cork donut just fits into the carrier and rides on the inside of the timing chain cover. I put some lubricant on the cork to hopefully retard wear. There was an article a few years ago showing the conversion to a modern neopreme seal. As I recall the biggest problem with the conversion was finding the crankshaft center in the center of the timing cover opening. I don't recall where the article appeared. I'm sure someone will know.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

pauldridge

Thanks Harry,

I guess the nice thing is that if the thing starts leaking, it should be a pretty trivial exercise to pop that timing chest off and replace it with another!

Phil

Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Steve Passmore

As Harry said Paul, thats all there is, They usually work very well though. To make a conversion one would have to line bore through the main bearing journals.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Tom Beaver

I replaced the front oil slinger with a modern seal on my 38 LaSalle.  The front seal I used is a NAPA 18548.  It is for a mid 90's Ford 302.  Shaft size listed for the seal is 1.875".  The seal surface on the Cadillac harmonic balancer I have measured 1.873" and on the Ford measured 1.875", which is close enough I think.  Diameter of the hole for the seal in the Ford front cover measures 2.558" which is something like 0.010" smaller than the OD of the seal itself.  The seal is designed to be compressed a bit when driven in, so I milled the hole in the Cadillac front cover to be the same as the Ford.

Since the Cadillac front cover is positioned by dowel pins I assumed that the original crankshaft hole was concentric with the crank and so centered the new hole on the old one.  I am within 0.002" as there was a little eccentricity in the old hole.  When I installed the harmonic balancer on the crank with the front cover in place it fits into the seal well and visually appears to be centered.

To allow all of the front pulleys to line up as before, I placed a spacer washer on the crankshaft between the timing chain drive gear and the end of the harmonic balancer.  I made the spacer approximately 0.040" thick which is the same thickness as the sheet metal on the old Cadillac seal/wiper which I had removed. 

To date, there has been no hint of an oil leak from the front cover or seal.

Tom Beaver

harry s

Tom, The fact that there are no leaks certainly speaks well of the conversion. If I had not just put the engine in my '37 I would have tried it. At least if I have any leaking I know what to do. Thanks for the info.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Ron Parker

Harry, Should the seal be sealed or glued to the carrier? Thanks ,Ron Parker

harry s

Ron, It just sits in the carrier and the tension keeps it in place. I like to put a film of grease on the outer face of the seal.  It's not part of the instructions but just seems to make sense.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Ron Parker

One last thing. The cork seal has 3 notches on one side. Do they go toward the front or engine? Thanks Ron Parker

harry s

I haven't seen the notches but would guess they would  be inward on the holder.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Ron Parker

Thanks Harry, I will be installing those heads soon.