News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

41 Cadillac Hydramatic flywheel cover cooling fins

Started by Ron Parker, May 11, 2019, 11:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Parker

On page 18 of my 1941 Cadillac Hydramatic shop manual a photo shows cooling fins attached to the flywheel cover bolts.Both of my 41's do not have these.Any advice on weather I should find some to use? Thanks Ron Parker

Chris Davis

Great catch on the shop manual photo.  Like yours, my 41 hydramatic did not have anything like that when I removed the transmission. 

They aren't on the post war hydramatics nor do "fins" show up in any of my Master Chassis or hydramatic books.

Blue sky speculation is they were a hold over from the 1940 Oldsmobile configuration that was later discontinued and the fins then get lost or tossed when the transmission is removed or serviced.  An educated guess is they weren't that effective in rejecting heat - perhaps helping to push air around the enclosure had some benefit.

As others have noted, the WW II military hydramatics were water cooled - suggesting the engineers were concerned about heat rejection.

savemy67

Hello Ron,

If you plan to drive your car infrequently, and or short distances, I think you are probably OK doing without the cooling fins.  The Hydra-Matics for non-military use were produced for several years before cooling was introduced.

If you plan to drive your car in such a manner as to cause excessive heat in the transmission, you may want to consider finding or making the fins.  Although, as Chris mentioned, they can't be too effective.  I don't think there is a convenient way to connect an external cooler.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Ron Parker

Thanks, I live in Texas and it is too hot in the summer. I would run these if I can find some. I wondered why they had the louvers in the dust cover without some way to move air other than the round flywheel cover. They might make noise too.  Ron Parker