News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bad front hub on 1968 Deville. I can't find a replacement

Started by chicago1, May 11, 2019, 09:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicago1

So 2 question here. Do they not make a aftermarket front wheel hub for my 68 Deville? I have looked all over and I see nothing. I just put a for sale add up.

Second question when you buy new drums and press the old hub out and transfer it over to the new drums are they supposed to be pressed in or just go in with no resistance? I have new drums and they look exactly like my old ones and the studs go through the holes of the new drum but like I said I can take it off by hand. My buddy said that's normal and that the front wheel bearing castle nut and wheel with lugnuts will keep it secure on the spindle. 

Scot Minesinger

Buy good used hubcaps, they are not reproduced.  In 1968, something like 200,000 Cadillacs were made, and so over 800,00 hub caps - should be no problem.

On the drums, do not know, I drive a 1970 Cadillac.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: chicago1 on May 11, 2019, 09:15:07 PM
So 2 question here. Do they not make a aftermarket front wheel hub for my 68 Deville? I have looked all over and I see nothing. I just put a for sale add up.

Second question when you buy new drums and press the old hub out and transfer it over to the new drums are they supposed to be pressed in or just go in with no resistance? I have new drums and they look exactly like my old ones and the studs go through the holes of the new drum but like I said I can take it off by hand. My buddy said that's normal and that the front wheel bearing castle nut and wheel with lugnuts will keep it secure on the spindle.
Cadillac sold the hub & drums together as a unit. The studs  were swaged in. The hubs have not been reproduced. The hub & drums fit 61 to 68. Find some good hubs with worn out drums & do a switch.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Daryl Chesterman

The reason the old brake drums come off of the hub with difficulty, is because of being rusted in place for 50 years.  The new drums will easily slide on over the hub and wheel studs, just like your buddy said, and the wheel will retain the drum to the hub.

As for acquiring a replacement hub, you can find one at a place that salvages old Cadillacs.  What is the reason
for needing to replace the hub?

Daryl Chesterman

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Daryl,
With all due respect, they ARE swaged on. I've had NOS ones & they take some serious pounding or better yet a press. Brought to us by the same people that brought LH threads. LOL!!! I'm sure rust & corrosion in the salt belt doesn't help.
Bob

Daryl Chesterman

Bob,

"With all due respect, they ARE swaged on."

No offense taken, Bob.  I think we are talking semantics.  To me, the process of swaging is to reduce something in size--a metal deformation process.  I would use the term "pressed" into the hub to describe how the studs are placed in the hub.  Yes, it can indeed be a booger to get a drum off of a hub.

Daryl Chesterman

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Daryl,
Whatever you want to call it, they are not easily separated. Right? Initially, rust & corrosion has no effect on it. The OP is not finding any hubs because most people don't want to separate them for that reason. How many have you separated?
Bob

savemy67

Hello Shant,

In my '67 shop manual, neither section 3 (brakes) nor section 10 (wheels/tires) has a description for separating a front hub from a front brake drum.  Section 10 has a photo of the back of a front hub/drum assembly showing the inner grease seal being installed.  In this photo you can see the backs of the five wheel studs in the hub.  In some instances, the shop manuals assumed the service man would know how to perform some procedures - like removing and replacing studs in a hub.

The hub performs two functions.  It houses the inner and outer front wheel bearings, and it locates the five wheel studs using a very strong press fit with knurled studs.  In both cases, the hub needs to handle a lot of weight and force so the hub needs to be of sufficient size to handle these two functions, hence its relative mass compared to a brake drum or wheel.  Since the wheel attaches to the studs, the brake drum attachment is incidental (a car could only have rear brakes).  The drum is, so to speak, along for the ride.  Regardless, separating a drum from a hub can be a bear of a task that may require the use of a press.

As Daryl asked, why are you in need of replacement hubs?  The wheel bearings/races and studs can be replaced.  Once these parts are removed, there is nothing besides the forging remaining.  Are yours cracked or damaged?

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop