News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1993 Allante

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, May 23, 2019, 03:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Need advice. Would a 1993 Allante well under $4,000 with 190K on the Northstar be worth messing with for a summer car (At my age, sort of a last fling...) if it runs?  It's got a new top as well and new tires. Guy says it's in "fair" condition and is less than twenty miles from me.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dave Shepherd

Will say the earlier Nstars, were subject to oil leaks and oil consumption issues, now at that mileage these issues may have been repaired.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hello Barry:

I've had some experience with Northstars as my wife
drove her '95 Seville up to about 80k miles before
it started to leak oil.  Great car, but be aware of
the pitfalls.

I like the idea of a "last fling".  However, with
that mileage if the engine has not been rebuilt
I think you would be buying perhaps a last headache
and putting a large dent in your wallet at the same
time.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I think the potential for problems is high, especially in proportion to the value of the car.

1993 was also the first year for the Northstar and there's no guarantee the head gaskets will not fail again simply because they've already been done, assuming this is the case.

If reliability is a factor, you can do a lot better.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

My experience with the Northstar has been only on the selling end when they were new in late 1992. We had a county road that now borders our Meijers. "Back then" it was dark and deserted so I used it as a test track. When I was showing a Concours or STS I'd have the guy drive out there and then pull over and tell him what I wanted him to do.

Mainly to make sure he knew what was going to happen when he floored the car. About a quarter of a mile south, there was an overpass going over I-65. Usually, the customer was doing at least seventy by the time he got to the top of the overpass. It was a nice stretch of road to show off the engine torque.

We never had an Allante on the lot and I only had one guy ask about one. There was a nice discount on them at the time, but he was thinking close to "free," since they'd discontinued them in 1993.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Eric, you're no fun at all. However, you are the voice of reason. I'll probably go look at it just to have a reason to take Gay out to lunch. (It IS triple black...)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry...I would hate for you (or anyone else) to make a decision that would be regretted later. Especially in a case where the potential for downside is far outweighs that for the good.

Should the head gaskets go, you've just bought yourself a $4,000 yard ornament and there's still a lot left that can go wrong.

Series75

Barry,  I've owned and enjoyed every minute of my 93 Allante pace car since buying it in 1995.  It's the best driving Cadillac I own and it's quick. With 134k on it, I have no fear with this car.   With your opportunity, I'd say buy it, have fun and if the doomsday the folks above predict comes along well, youVe got a parts car that may net you 1/2 your investment in high demand parts or whole to a breaker.  I would say owning an Allante asks you to tinker with it regularly.  But you do that with the Seville anyway. 
Regards, Tom CLC 6866

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I appreciate all the yeas and nays. It's coming up on Friday and guys "get paid" then, so I might miss out anyway. I wasn't being entirely truthful about the price. When I said it was "well under $4K," how about $2200? And Eric, I know that a car like this can become a money pit quickly. We'll see... Maybe the guy's wife is selling it because of illness. She's sick of looking at it.

The picture is so small I can't tell, but it may still have a 30 day paper plate on it, so the guy may have "discovered" something after HE bought it and he's trying to get out from under.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

76eldo

It’s not worth the risk with that mileage.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Roger Zimmermann

Recently, a friend of mine bought a STS with a rather high mileage, about 120'000. The car was very cheap; however everything was functioning as intended and the body was in excellent shape. After 5000 miles, the car began to "eat" cooling water. The verdict is easy: cylinder head(s) gasket(s) or the threads in the engine block are letting go.
The car now is good to be scraped.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on May 23, 2019, 11:20:40 PM
... it may still have a 30 day paper plate on it, so the guy may have "discovered" something after HE bought it and he's trying to get out from under.

That would worry me right off the bat.