News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'60 SdV tie rod joints etc

Started by pocale, May 23, 2019, 07:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocale

Greetings from Finland, North Europe.

I am helping a friend; annual vehicle inspection was disapproved due to a few front end issues and rusted trunk floor.
Specifically

1) lower ball joints, that should be straight forward
2) right side tie rod inner end
    i found a pic where i can see it is a ball joint to tie rod
    how does it separate from the tie rod?
    i could not find a spare part for the inner end of tie rod, so i suppose there is a replaceable bushing in tie rod for the ball (how to replace)..
    or how do you fix a loose inner end joint?
3) idler arm loose to tie rod and free play up'n down at the bearing. for the tie rod joint  i guess #2 questions apply for the separation and bushing(?),
    is there a replaceable bearing, can it be tightened or a new assembly?
4) front brake hose cracked, is it strictly model specific or is there a more common car model hose applicable

Google finds only a few parts supplier, prices are salty (gotta add shipping to EU and local VAT too).
Where would you recommend to order from?

Help and experience shared is appreciated.

Thanks.
V8, A/T, RWD - other options are negotiable

Roger Zimmermann

If you want cheap parts, buy by Kanter. Be aware: cheap parts are always too expensive. Rare Parts is a supplier with good parts, unfortunately expensive. If you go to Google, you will find several suppliers, not only Kanter, for the cheap parts, usually made in China.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Daryl Chesterman

Juho,

This is a picture from my Master Parts List (1956-1961) that shows the steering linkage.  The connecting link (also called a drag link) has repair kits available on many different classic Cadillac repair parts websites.  You probably need to disassemble the connecting link to see if any of the springs (group # 18.1405) are broken.  Unless there is a broken spring, the connecting link probably just needs to be adjusted on each end, where group # 18.1395 is located.  I don't have my shop manual here at the house, or I would give you the proper torque for those plugs.
If you have the shop manual, the torque specification is in there.

Daryl Chesterman