News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rain Gutter/Apron Attachment on 1974 Eldo (GM Scissor Top)

Started by hornetball, May 26, 2019, 10:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornetball

The top was replaced on my car prior to my ownership back in 2015.  Unfortunately, the rain gutter/apron was not re-attached correctly and is letting water into the trunk.  Prior owner tried to fix this with spray foam (which, of course, only made things worse)!

I've got it unclipped and am trying to get it back up correctly.  The inner rod is intact and in good shape, but I'll be darned if I can get it into place at the clips where the molding makes the big turn.  Would be easy to do if there was a tool that I could pry with -- but darn near impossible by hand.  Any tricks?  Is there a tool?

The Tassie Devil(le)

From what I can recall when I did my last top, the clips were simply bent by hand.

You just have to climb into the trunk and locate the 6 (I think) clips and push the gutter up into place and bend the clips.

Looks like I have filed my pictures away so that I can't find them.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

hornetball

As simple and obvious as it may seem . . . the tip to climb into the trunk so I can see what I'm doing and get leverage may be the key.  Thank you!  Doh!

hornetball

And . . . got it!  Easy to do once I was in the trunk.