News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removing mirror glass from round door mirrors on a ‘59

Started by MY 59, June 01, 2019, 08:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MY 59

Hi all,
I have had the chroming fail on 2 sets of repro exterior mirrors on my 59 now, so want to have the originals rechromed locally.
What is the method to remove the mirror glass? It seems to be in their damn snug !!
I have searched to forum and can’t really find anything
Thanks all, any advice appreciated
Dave
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Roger Zimmermann

When I restored my cars in the eighties, there was no Internet for help. I just smashed the original mirror which was bad anyway. I let cut a new mirror and glued inside the rechromed holder.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

35-709

Your chrome plating shop should know how to remove the glass before chroming, they do it all the time. 
I suspect the procedure will be just as Roger Zimmerman stated --- break the old glass to remove, then have a new one made to glue back in when the rechrome is finished.  Any auto glass shop should be able to make you a new mirror glass and install it.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: StevenTuck on June 03, 2019, 06:26:51 AM
The mirror is not glued. The edge of the mirror is rounded and snapped in place.

That's correct. However, how are you doing that with a fresh plated back? I'm sure, the factory had a tool to crimp the edge without breaking the glass. Or the glass had a very precise diameter allowing it to but snapped in place.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

MY 59

Thanks all,
I figure this glass is in there pretty tight, so breakage may be the way to go
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

mario

Gentlemen:
I remember a thread, way back, about this.

https://www.mirrorladypa.com

Check this out.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mario,
That's a GREAT suggestion! Those mirrors were not made to be serviced.
Dave,
I know you're in Oz, but to me it's the only way to go.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

carlhungness

If I were replacing mirrors on both sides I'd clone what the factories have been doing for years and make the right hand mirror a completely different focal length than the left. We've all seen "Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear To Be" etched on the right hand mirror.
       Breaking out the glass should be easy with an automatic center punch, something every car should come equipped with in the first place, one pop and your glass will disappear.