News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Turning over 48 flathead

Started by Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225, June 21, 2019, 09:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Just bought a 48 fastback that has been sitting for 30 years. It has the original 346 L head V8. I have removed the plugs and applied a few squirts of Marvel Mystery oil to each cylinder and let it sit for 48 hours. I am now ready to turn over the engine. I want to use the starter if possible without starting the car. I would like to bypass the ignition and just bump the starter from under the hood.   How would you suggest that I do that .  It is a 6 volt system.    Thanks !
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would remove the spark plugs so there is no strain on the Starter/battery because of the compression that would otherwise be generated.

Plus, remove the coil to distributor wire from the coil so as not to have plug leads energised to shock you if your hand gets close, but that won't happen as you will be inside the car, operating the switch.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harry s

I would remove the trans inspection cover and try and move the engine a little by prying the flywheel. There is also the possibility of valves being stuck . If you could do at least one revolution it would be good. Good Luck.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bobby B

You could use a regular 12V battery for a little "Extra" Kick if you're going directly to the starter. Might help in your situation of sitting all those years. Good Luck!
         Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Success !!!    Thanks for the advice.   After letting the oil soak into the piston rings for a couple of days I hooked up the 12V battery directly to the starter and used a remote starter from under the hood. I bumped it and the fan turned. Added a bit more oil to the cylinders and bumped it again. did this several times until the motor turns over and spins with ease !!  Going to rebuild the carb , install new plugs,points,cond and see what happens...  Its looking good so far.  Don't you just love the first few days of a new project .
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

James Landi

Bill...   are there "signs" of compression for all of the cylinders?   Getting the engine to "crank" is certainly an important mile post, but what about the 16 valves?   With engines that have been dormant for decades, valve guides often rust valve stems in place, and when these engines are forced to rotate, the stuck valves will cause the push rods to bend.  Try running a compression test on each cylinder, and if you can achieve a minimum of compression on your cold and dormant engine of even 60 pounds per cylinders, you lots to celebrate.  James

Bobby B

Quote from: James Landi on June 24, 2019, 10:35:19 PM
Bill...   are there "signs" of compression for all of the cylinders?   Getting the engine to "crank" is certainly an important mile post, but what about the 16 valves?   With engines that have been dormant for decades, valve guides often rust valve stems in place, and when these engines are forced to rotate, the stuck valves will cause the push rods to bend.  Try running a compression test on each cylinder, and if you can achieve a minimum of compression on your cold and dormant engine of even 60 pounds per cylinders, you lots to celebrate.  James

Also look out for broken piston rings. Another factor to consider regarding an engine that has been "freed "up. I've had this on numerous engines that have sat for years without being oiled occasionally and turned over. It'll run, but won't last long without a teardown and rebuild. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't.
                                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH