News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

OEM wheels for 75 CDV

Started by jaydog, June 27, 2019, 07:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaydog

A couple of my wheels are not true, got tweaked over 45 years.  The parts manual lists 1493833 as the part number.  A Google search doesn't turn up anything, thinking I have to have some made.  The shop manual says15X6 JK, offset .29 in, 5 bolt, wheel ID - SC, drop center, bore 78.1.  A wheel reference site says 7JX15ET10 for a 235X75R15.  So, shop manual says 6 IN, the wheel reference says 6.5.

I emailed Detroit wheel for info.
Does anyone know of a source for new wheels, or used steel that are true?

BTW, I don't really care of they look like the originals because the wheel covers will be on them....just want something that will fit.

TJ Hopland

Do the 75's wheel covers grip on the very outer lip where the weights are or is it further in on the first flat area?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jaydog

Big Fins

Then you will need Cadillac wheels. They have a wider outer lip in which to hold the 'tangs' of the wheelcovers.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

These people might be worth a shot.

https://www.originalwheels.com/?gclid=CI7uhPXTy8QCFY-HaQod_ZkAoQ

They used to list '70s wheels but I don't see the listing for that far back anymore.  Worth a phone call though.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jaydog

Tried them, no luck.  Most of it is the tires.

The Coker American Classics I bought for my Cadillac back in September are quite out of round. I have had them balanced 5 times and they still are not right. I bought them on Amazon via Jegs for $660, free shipping, no tax. Today I went to Discount Tire and ordered some Vogue Classic White (without the gold stripe) tires with the 1.5 inch whitewall, which are getting good reviews. I have always had trouble with Coker Tires, I don't know why I bought these. Anyway, the point of this is to let you know that when I called Jeg's today to see what kind of credit I could get, they offered a full refund and free shipping back!

Customer service is important and Jeg's knows how to do it right!

TJ Hopland

Even with modern tire balance machines properly balancing a tire is an art and there just are not many artists around.  Getting a result on the machine and getting a good balance are 2 different things. 

I think a lot of shops blame the wheel because they didn't sell it.   I have had several shops say the wheel was the problem so I brought them different ones.   Guess what?  That didn't help, the new wheel must be bad too.   In every case I eventually find a shop with a tech that knows what they are doing and I finally get a good balance.   Sometimes that involved a different tire too.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

I have current wheels on my Eldorado that when put on a balance machine are clearly bent/out of round. It makes the Cadillac ride like 1970 Corolla.

When you strip a tire and wheel assembly of it's weight and spin it up, the computer states where to put the weight. You place the amount of weight needed in the assigned position and spin it up again.

Now it calls for another 3/4 oz. The real trick to balancing is to take the first weight you put on, set the machine to where it calls for the additional weight and then move the existing weight half way toward the stated position of the 3/4 oz weight.  Then spin it up again.

These kids today will tack on 5 ounces of weight in opposing positions because that's where the machine says to put it. I was taught the old school way, which in my eyes is the correct way. A tire only needs one weight. If it needs more than 2 1/2 oz, break it down and spin it 180o on the rim and try again. If that doesn't cure the excessive weight problem, the tire is defective.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

jaydog

Took the Cokers off today///had 4K miles on them...Jegs is giving me a full refund.  But, found this bubble on the RR...a blowout waiting to happen on these junk Cokers.  Discount tire balanced the new Vogues to perfection, none of them out of round and totally blemish free with one of the best white walls I have ever seen.
Car drives like a Cadillac now, so smooth, I am very pleased.

V63

I have them available removed from 1974-76 cadillacs. They are arizona, rust free (save for light surface rust). $45 each plus shipping from 85004. Since you are having an issue I could roll them on cement to check for trueness?

Big Fins

V63...it would be a matter of mounting them on a hub and spinning them to check for trueness. Unless severely bent, just about any wheel will look straight as it's rolled on cement. The front wheel drive offset rims being the worst because tire changers were never taught the correct way to remove the tire from these rims.

Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In 1977 Cadillac made a point of mentioning "match mounting" of wheels and tires whereby the high point of the wheel was marked by a dot painted on the wheel with another dot indicating the low point on the tire. The resulting cancellation was said to provide extra smoothness at highway speeds.

On a set of tires I just had installed, I instructed the shop to match the dots up since they were still plainly visible on the wheels (and on the new tires) and it seems to have worked well.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

One dot was yellow if memory serves, the other blue.

V63

Quote from: Big Fins on July 04, 2019, 04:18:44 AM
V63...it would be a matter of mounting them on a hub and spinning them to check for trueness. Unless severely bent, just about any wheel will look straight as it's rolled on cement. The front wheel drive offset rims being the worst because tire changers were never taught the correct way to remove the tire from these rims.

That could also work, too much effort.

Big Fins

Then you will never get a true runout on the wheels.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Big Fins

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 04, 2019, 11:09:37 AM
In 1977 Cadillac made a point of mentioning "match mounting" of wheels and tires whereby the high point of the wheel was marked by a dot painted on the wheel with another dot indicating the low point on the tire. The resulting cancellation was said to provide extra smoothness at highway speeds.

On a set of tires I just had installed, I instructed the shop to match the dots up since they were still plainly visible on the wheels (and on the new tires) and it seems to have worked well.

I was taught by GM tech that the dot on the tire was to be lined up with the valve stem. The tire was static balanced to be placed in that position on the wheel. Eric, you matched the dots, but where on the wheel were the dots? At the valve stem position? GM Technical School didn't teach up this for no reason. This was also in 1974. Times change.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes.   The dot is to match up with the valve stem.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

V63

My understanding, per 1977, is as Eric described. The dot location varied on the wheel dependent on its manufacture characteristics.