News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Washed the car, the paint faded and the fins shrank

Started by STS05lg, July 14, 2019, 06:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STS05lg

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Lynn:

WOW!!  Remember the next time to use cold water
or they'll shrink to nothing.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

David Greenburg

David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

And why I don't wash my cars.  ;)  Water is way to precious.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

59-in-pieces

I have the same problem when I go into the cold ocean.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac Fleetwood

Shame on them! The label on the car wash liquid should have contained the appropriate warnings:

"Use of this product may cause shrinkage and/or color change. Before use, test in an inconspicuous area. Bright colors such as Seminole Red may become Saddle Firemist or Sierra Gold." (LOL)

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on July 15, 2019, 11:52:18 AM
I have the same problem when I go into the cold ocean.  Steve B. 
If I was meant to go in the ocean, God would have given me Gills. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jason Edge

Nothing screams 50's exuberance and 60's refinement like these two classic rear ends!  Crazy how much they changed in just 5 years. We've had cars run for almost 10 years in the last 2 or 3 decades and could hardly tell the difference!
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

59-in-pieces

"We've had cars run for almost 10 years in the last 2 or 3 decades and could hardly tell the difference!"

And as a direct result - we have a stumbling floundering - GM division that was once the " ?  of the World"
Fill in the " ? " if you can remember that far back.

Have fun,
Steve B.

PS - OK, let the rationalism begin.
S. Butcher

Big Fins

Nothing to rationalize about Steve. They all look like little jelly beans rolling down the road with nothing standing out, nothing to garner any attention.

That's why we all get the thumbs up when driving our Cadillacs. We stand out among the plebeian jelly beans.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

bctexas

Remember when we all looked forward to new car introductions?  I used to bug my dad to take me to the dealers when the new cars came out so I could see them.  I also remember seeing the dealers with brown paper covering the showroom windows until intro day. 

And when someone came home with a new car and parked it in the driveway, the neighbors would come out to see it and marvel at the new styling and features.  Doesn't happen when someone brings home a new Camry or Tahoe.  Who can tell if it's new or used?  Who cares any more?  In 1958 if you parked a brand new 1959 Cadillac or Chevy Impala convertible in the driveway everyone was going to notice!

In 1966 my dad ran a transmission repair shop, and he leased a brand new Camaro to use as a loaner.  One of the first ones in town and still a rare sight.  I will never forget riding around in that car, and seeing people looking and pointing as it went by. 

Showing my age aren't I.  The new modern cars are better by almost any measure you can come up with.  Far more reliable, less maintenance, far safer, much longer lasting and easier to own.  They are just so dam DULL!!!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: bctexas on July 19, 2019, 03:28:05 PM
Remember when we all looked forward to new car introductions?  I used to bug my dad to take me to the dealers when the new cars came out so I could see them.  I also remember seeing the dealers with brown paper covering the showroom windows until intro day. 

And when someone came home with a new car and parked it in the driveway, the neighbors would come out to see it and marvel at the new styling and features.  Doesn't happen when someone brings home a new Camry or Tahoe.  Who can tell if it's new or used?  Who cares any more?  In 1958 if you parked a brand new 1959 Cadillac or Chevy Impala convertible in the driveway everyone was going to notice!

In 1966 my dad ran a transmission repair shop, and he leased a brand new Camaro to use as a loaner.  One of the first ones in town and still a rate sight.  I will never forget riding around in that car, and seeing people looking and pointing as it went by. 

Showing my age aren't I.  The new modern cars are better by almost any measure you can come up with.  Far more reliable, less maintenance, far safer, much longer lasting and easier to own.  They are just do dam DULL!!!

Nice read! So true. Modern/new cars have looked like jelly beans since
about 1990.

I just came back from the repair shop and picked up one of my classics, as I was speaking with the shop owner, he told me new cars are actually less durable than ones from the 90’s on down as planned obsolescence has actually gotten worse as more and more parts especially in critical areas are now plastic when it should be metal.

Or things easily break now, the metal gauge on suspension parts such as tie rod ends, control arms and just little things like brackets are all much worse in quality than they used to be. He said, as what I suspected, CAFE requirements especially the increase in fuel economy has made many new cars less durable as they age as more critical weight is being taken out of them. The cost of raw materials is another major factor. The switch to tiny 4 cylinder turbocharged direct injection engines, with CVT transmissions are the worst he said. They won’t last 150,000 miles with something major failing. He sees it a lot.

But yeah he said our old full size Caddy’s of the past were really built to last. The main reasons why? They’re body on frame. Even the largest modern sedans today are unit-body, and aren’t made to be repaired once in a minor accident, plus they’re simply not as strong compared to a BOF vehicle. The biggest thing is the repair ability that makes them easier to fix up and keep em on the road.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Big Fins

Take a ride to your local Fire Department/Paramedic Station and look at what the guys drive that cut the mangled bodies out of the 'Jelly Beans'. Just about all drive full size trucks. All BOF vehicles. They know what protects the occupants from the phone wielding public. METAL.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille