News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

looking for opinions on value of LeCabriolet

Started by fasted55, July 15, 2019, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasted55

Long time no post,
I have a 1979 Cadillac LeCabriolet that I'm thinking of selling.  I bought it many years ago and have enjoyed the comfortable ride.  The odometer says 59,000 and change but with only a 5 digit odometer who knows?  Since owning the car, I had the engine rebuilt at Jasper Engineering and the transmission rebuilt locally.  The car has passed emissions testing ever since (CO and HC at idle and driving on a roller).  So the powertrain is in tip top shape.  The body is straight and the paint looks good from 20ft.  It needs paint.  The top needs replacing. The high speed blower has resisted my efforts at finding the reason why it doesn't work.  And the power window switches have become intermittent.  Every thing else works fine.  I have lots of spare parts.  Before I go through the tedious process of taking lots of photos and writing up an in depth assessment, I thought I'd get a ballpark selling price from the knowledgeable members on this forum.  I've pointed out the warts but I wouldn't hesitate to drive this car anywhere.  Thanks for reading.

Scot Minesinger

1979 reliable Cadillac with rebuilt drive train, decent interior (presuming), fading paint and vinyl top that needs to be replaced with 59 or 159k miles - I'm guessing 3k.  Does the climate control, ac & heat work (besides no high speed blower)?  If not 2.5k.  Cosmetics drive price more than mechanical condition unfortunately.  If you could authenticate the mileage to 59k that would help improve value.  There are a lot of decent examples out there for low cost. 

Jasper is not known for high quality work, I'm dealing with one now and - terrible sloppy work.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

GBrown #8092

I don't think the prior responder noted that you said it was a "LeCabriolet".
I chased one in much worse condition for over 20 years and would have paid quite a bit more than that.  I'd probably hop on a plane tomorrow for one at that price.

He's correct, the condition is a big issue, you have several issues that mitigate against big money, but rarity helps you a lot.
Does the remainder of the car support 59000 miles, or does it look like 159,000? I have seen some incredibly well taken care of 100k mile cars that look like they are showroom new.

The prices on these are all over the map. I missed one for sale last year on Craigslist in California for $2900, it was sold in less than 4 hours. However, most seem to sell in the $10k -ish range, really nice ones for much more.  There was a shop on the east coast that was buying them for, I believe $6000 ish, and used them as donors to convert 91-92's. I missed out on another they bought.

More pictures might help, or you can PM me. I'm a bit distracted right now but will get back to you as soon as I can.

Glenn

corey raub

Ed,
I’m interested in your LeCabriolet.  I sent you an email message.  Thank you.
Corey

fasted55

This will be a long post.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I bought the car based only on pictures and got taken.  I will be brutally honest in my description of the car.  I bought the car in July of 2012 from Lash Auto Sales in Florida with 45Kmi on the odometer.  Let's just say the pictures were misleading and they even swapped out the mint wheel covers in the pictures for beat up ones.  Their recommended shipper damaged the paint on the hood when hydraulic fluid from a vehicle on the upper deck dripped on it.  Neither party accepted responsibility.  So between the purchase price and the work I paid for I am way upside down.  Hence the desire not to invest anymore $$ on paint and top.  Prior to Lash ownership, someone in Ohio owned the car.  It was at sometime rust proofed as evidenced by the little plastic plugs in the doors and sill area.  The VIN is 6D47S99196730 if you think you can find out more about the car. 

Underneath the car, the frame and mechanicals are rust free.  I replaced the shocks front and rear.  Rear are air shocks.  Car has the original air compressor and self leveling pieces but the compressor leaks.  I mentioned the engine and tranny rebuild.  When the carb was rebuilt, the secondary still had the brass plugs from the factory installed! Engine is leak free as long as I keep the valve covers tight.  Tranny has a slight leak at the linkage.  Oil changes were at 3Kmi with Mobil1 and Competition Cams Zinc additive to protect the soft valve train from lead free gasoline.  Rear diff fluid is synthetic.  Tires have 4/32 tread depth and brake pads ~50% life.

The body is rust free.  Front bumper is mint along with the rest of the front grill.  Rear bumper has 2 slight wear marks on the top from a suitcase or something. Body and trim are straight except for drivers door which bows out slightly at rear bottom edge.  Power trunk works fine but key does NOT open trunk.  I have spare side molding.  Wire wheel covers on the car are banged up but I have NOS covers with the locking hubs and tool.  These are worth $500 by themselves. The front hood emblem is LeCabriolet specific (not std. DeVille) and it has LeCabriolet badges on each side.

The glass is OK.  Front windshield has drivers side scratch from wiper (arc) and a small rock chip in the extreme lower left corner.  Side glass is good although the rear glass front edge rubber is poor.  The convertible top as mentioned has a tear above left rear window.  Around the heated rear window, the top is pulling away.  The power top goes up and down smoothly (big sucker) and I bought new hydraulic pistons as spares.

Moving inside, the dashboard is mint and so is the steering wheel pad and inlaid wood veneer strip.  It has the optional radio for that year - cassette instead of 8 track.  All gauges work, cruise control works, wipers work but not the washer.  I replaced the washer motor to no avail.  AC is cold but as mentioned the high speed blower doesn't.  I rewired the relay which runs hot so that is powered, I replaced the blower motor, the blower resistor is fine, the automatic climate control works, so that has me stumped.  Carpeting and leather seats look nice, no tears in seats and no pulls in carpet.  Both armrests are cracked and the power window module on the passenger side is loose.  Power seats, power mirrors work fine.  Power windows work in cooler weather but intermittently in hot weather.  I bought new switches but haven't installed them.

I have the original owners manual and the options brochure.  The LeCabriolet had a special manual describing the special features which I also have.  Same with the 20lb service manual.

I have several PMs I will answer in a day or two.  Thank you for the interest.

signart

F.Y.I. I have included an example.
Handsome potential, no affiliation. Judging photo of OP's car, interior would pass for 59K
Art D. Woody

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A good photo spread would greatly benefit this thread.

Sorry to hear you got taken by that - shall we say - less-than-scrupulous eBay seller.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

I'd like to know where the car is located.  Please post pics and an asking price.  If you want to respond privately my email is rachlin@comcast.net.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)